The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Forum Upgrade - May 2013

Members and Guests of the RONR Discussion Forum,

There is a critical upgrade to the forum software and we are being told that we have to upgrade now. The software company will be doing the upgrade for us. They are not able to give an exact date and time for the upgrade, but I believe it will be in the next few days.

In addition to some changes behind the scenes like bug fixes and security fixes, there will be some cosmetic changes. Plus I gather there is a new form of CAPTCHA that will be available to us. We will have to test it out with our friendy spammers to see if we can safely start using it.

I will be checking in to see when the upgrade is done and to see what your comments are.

thanks,

Olivia

Guest_Edgar_, I think you can exhale now. The upgrade is done. I don't see anything too different. I see they still have the "Create Account" link that you see if you are not logged in.

As far as CAPTCHA goes, I believe we now have the ability to use KeyCAPTCHA (https://www.keycaptcha.com/). I am discussing that with the boss man to see if/when we want to give that a try.

The most notable difference is viewing this site from my iphone.  The threads that I didn't view or that had new responses used to be bolded so I could tell which ones had new responses. Now they're all shown as if I read them all.  I wonder if that's a one time thing.  No complaints though.  I can barely tell anything has changed when on the computer itself.

Guest_Edgar's problems could all be solved by logging in.....but I suppose he's happy to have his registered account be at 5000 posts exactly.

The most notable difference is viewing this site from my iphone. The threads that I didn't view or that had new responses used to be bolded so I could tell which ones had new responses. Now they're all shown as if I read them all. I wonder if that's a one time thing. No complaints though. I can barely tell anything has changed when on the computer itself.

It's working great on my Android phone. Much better than before. But I'm not sure if the "follow this forum" feature is working.

It's working great on my Android phone. Much better than before. But I'm not sure if the "follow this forum" feature is working.

Oh yes, it works well, very well.  That was the only thing I noticed though.  Reading the overnight officer's new responses with my coffee always make the morning intersting.

Overnight, I noticed that threads I had read a couple hours before, were still when I looked at them again as if I had not viewed them previously. I figured (probably accurately, it apparently eventuates) that the process had begun.

It was like once when I walked into my TARDIS that first step was into the swimming pool.

My thanks added to the tottering pile, to Her Bossladyship for her efforts.... (but, what's a boss man?) (emphatic thanks especially for the ongoing attentiveness to the unresolved problem of first-time attempting Original Posters who are rebuffed by the spam filter. The only valid objection to it. Etc etc. I wouldn't even be here in this TARDIS-inspired time-loop parenthetical remark if that that saltshaker-shaped Dalek, Mervosh, hadn't brought it up).

Guest_Edgar's problems could all be solved by logging in.....

I'm afraid logging in does nothing to solve the CAPTCHA problem. It just leaves it for our Guests to deal with.

KeyCAPTCHA looks like fun (?) but I still have to wonder why reCAPTCHA wasn't/isn't an option.

I am glad that everyone is making a good transition to version 3.4.4 and even finding an improvement over the way the software works on mobile devices.

George, the reason that we can't use recaptcha is that if I turn it on, within minutes we start accumulating spam. I literally mean within minutes. Dan (the bossman) and I have tried this twice and both times the forum immediately started filling up with spam. We are going to try the KeyCAPTCHA cautiously. Presumably it is new enough that the spam-bots haven't figured it out yet. We'll see.

I am glad that everyone is making a good transition to version 3.4.4 and even finding an improvement over the way the software works on mobile devices.

George, the reason that we can't use recaptcha is that if I turn it on, within minutes we start accumulating spam. I literally mean within minutes. Dan (the bossman) and I have tried this twice and both times the forum immediately started filling up with spam. We are going to try the KeyCAPTCHA cautiously. Presumably it is new enough that the spam-bots haven't figured it out yet. We'll see.

Oh it's not me, it's Guest Edgar worried about the re-captcha.  I'm with the Boss Man in enjoying a spam free existence here, though the Boss Man takes on the Spam Bots does sound like an interesting title for an action movie.

. . .  the reason that we can't use recaptcha is that if I turn it on, within minutes we start accumulating spam. I literally mean within minutes. Dan (the bossman) and I have tried this twice and both times the forum immediately started filling up with spam. We are going to try the KeyCAPTCHA cautiously. Presumably it is new enough that the spam-bots haven't figured it out yet. We'll see.

Thanks so much for the explanation. I'm having fun (?) with KeyCAPTCHA. Maybe our guests will have so much fun they won't want to become members!

A (minor) downside is that you now have to complete the KeyCAPTCHA image each time you want to preview your post. Previews were previously CAPTCHA-free.

I also had trouble re-assembling a rabbit (or was it a cat?). 

... I'm with the Boss Man in enjoying a spam free existence here,

Again, George, this is a false argument. It may be a fact that you, Mr Honemann, and Her Bossladyship dislike spam on the website more than any of the rest of us; but I assure you, the competition for that top spot (or three top spots) is fierce. Guest_Edgar, me, and others have no desire to wade through 2,000 spams a day to find the real posts, nor to wade through even one or two, and for that matter, you should understand by now, we are no more tolerant of spam than you, Mr H, or Ms Evans are. We are simply adamant that a system that weeds out people who newly seek our help is inadequate. Ms Evans has seemed to say that she agrees about the lamentable inadequacy but thinks that what we have now is the best compromise available, which is why I have been applauding her adroit fence-straddling, which applause I hope she appreciates.

though the Boss Man takes on the Spam Bots does sound like an interesting title for an action movie.

Intriguing, yes, I'd like to maybe see it in Iron Man 4 except the full suit would obscure Dan's six-pack nostrils and pecs.

We will all know we have a winner with keyCAPTCHA if Guest_Edgar actually gives up his CAPTCHA protest and starts logging in with his account. Call me a dreamer...

No one wants Mr. Mountcastle to come down from his quixotic high horse more than I do.

Though I have to say that having "KEYCAPTCHA FREE VERSION" splashed across the screen doesn't exactly scream "class act".

Still, it's fun putting things back together. Even if it's sometimes a little creepy . . . such as with baby parts.

Occasionally the edit function isn't working properly.  I'll click "Edit", but it won't allow me to click into the message to edit it.  I have to hit the Full  Editor option.  I don't know if that's just a glitch which has nothing to do with the changes, or something did change.  I'm not sure if anyone else is having this issue.

Occasionally the edit function isn't working properly.  I'll click "Edit", but it won't allow me to click into the message to edit it.  I have to hit the Full  Editor option.  I don't know if that's just a glitch which has nothing to do with the changes, or something did change.  I'm not sure if anyone else is having this issue.

I've experienced this problem on a few occasions. It usually resolves itself if you wait for a bit.

Occasionally
I've experienced this problem on a few occasions. It usually resolves itself if you wait for a bit.

What a pile of obsequious obstreperous whines!

Try turning on the radio with Carmina Burana (www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEllLECo4OM seems pretty good, but I only sampled it for a moment) looking for a weather report before going out and instead finding "Chantilly Lace" (an' uh purdih face) starting and you'll have something to whine about!

Archived