The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to accept minutes defeated: what next?

Guest Sally J

The minutes from our previous meeting were not accepted. The vote was unanimous.

Well, for starters, that's not how it's supposed to work. No final vote is taken on the approval of the minutes. After any corrections have been handled, the minutes are declared approved. It appears that everyone was in agreement that there were some problems with the minutes. The proper course of action was to correct the minutes.

What are the consequences and next steps?

The consequences are that, at this time, there are no approved minutes for the meeting in question.

The next steps are for the Secretary to present the minutes for approval at the next meeting again, prior to the approval of the minutes of the meeting you just had. This time, fix them instead of just shooting them down.

If the problems with the minutes are so extensive that the assembly is unable to fix them on the spot, refer them to a committee.

There should have never been the chance that the minutes wouldn't be approved.  First, I would recommend you read RONR pp. 354-355 and then at the next meeting move that the minutes be approved and do it correctly this time.

Another way to express this is that, under RONR, the members have an opportunity to offer corrections to the draft minutes presented (or read). If there is a disagreement about a correction that is offered/presented, then the assembly can vote on that issue. Once all corrections are made, the minutes are accepted/approved.

And bring a copy of RONR 11th Edition with you.  Some Chairmen will try to 'skip' the correction process (especially if the Minutes were sent out in advance so people could always 'offer corrections before the meeting') and try to go straight to a vote.  Make sure you are ready with a Point of Order if the Chairman does not follow RONR.

The minutes from our previous meeting were not accepted. The vote was unanimous. 

The person who prepared the minutes (i.e. the secretary) didn't vote to accept them?

(Which is not to suggested, as has already been noted, that there should have been a vote at all.)

The person who prepared the minutes (i.e. the secretary) didn't vote to accept them?

(Which is not to suggested, as has already been noted, that there should have been a vote at all.)

Good point, why did the person who created the draft copy not vote in favour of accepting them?  Not that there should have been a vote.

While I agree that the proper way of approving minutes is that members offer corrections, what would be the proper action/procedure if the draft presented/read was in such an incomplete state that offering corrections would be impractical? I wonder if this might be the situation here? In such a situation, I think I would propose deferring the approval of the minutes to the next meeting, so that a reasonable draft could be offered for approval.

While I agree that the proper way of approving minutes is that members offer corrections, what would be the proper action/procedure if the draft presented/read was in such an incomplete state that offering corrections would be impractical? I wonder if this might be the situation here? In such a situation, I think I would propose deferring the approval of the minutes to the next meeting, so that a reasonable draft could be offered for approval.

They could be sent to a committee that could fix them.

They could be sent to a committee that could fix them.

I think that would be the better option, unless they want to hold a special meeting just to discuss the Minutes.  If there are a lot of corrections, it could take a large chunk of the meeting to deal with the corrections.  Plus, by the end, if there are a lot of corrections people may lose track of where they are and how the Minutes actually appear.  And if you wait for another meeting that means two months, or more, since the meeting in question and a lot of people can forget what actually occurred (or simply not care.)

The minutes from our previous meeting were not accepted. The vote was unanimous. What are the consequences and next steps?

You can't vote "No" on approval of minutes.  The only way to object to something in the minutes is to offer a correction.   If no corrections were offered, the chair should simply have declared the minutes approved.

Now you're left with minutes that were not approved, so the consequence is that you have to do it right at the next meeting.

Archived