The Official RONR Q & A Forums

can this vote be retaken?

Guest gardengirl

A voter called in to a Board meeting - allowable for them - while out of town.  he voted via speaker phone on a motion but realized just after he voted that due to the noise on the phone he had misunderstood the motion.  He voted to approve when he wanted to vote to reject.

he didn't know at the time that he could have requested a re-vote.

Now, 24 hours later, he wanted to know if this vote could be annulled and another vote taken.  he voted with the majority to approve the motion - which passed.

Can this vote be retaken?  His vote would put the vote total into a tie which would effectively reject the motion.

At the next (regular) meeting he can make a motion to Rescind (or otherwise Amend) the Previously Adopted motion. Its adoption will require either a two-thirds vote, the affirmative vote of a majority of the (entire) membership (of the board), or, with previous notice, a majority vote.

It was his responsibility to understand what he was voting for.

So at our next regularly scheduled meeting:

he can make a motion to re-vote on this already approved motion, or rescind or even amend it...and if we publish this action in the agenda ahead of the meeting (our agenda is required by the Bylaws to be announced 10 days in advance of the meeting date), the new motion would need a simple majority of the entire Board to be approved?

So at our next regularly scheduled meeting:

he can make a motion to re-vote on this already approved motion, or rescind or even amend it...

No, he won't make a motion to re-vote on the already-adopted motion -- let's call it, say, the motion to paint the firehouse red.  He will be proposing a new motion, which is to rescind the firehouse-painting motion altogether, or to amend it (like by changing "red" to "teal").

...and if we publish this action in the agenda ahead of the meeting (our agenda is required by the Bylaws to be announced 10 days in advance of the meeting date), the new motion would need a simple majority of the entire Board to be approved?

Pretty much.  It assumes that publishing the proposed motion to rescind or amend in the agenda does fulfill the requirements for previous notice -- while there is some overlap in meaning, they are not completely the same thing.

Our board voted unanimously to install a fence.  Several days after the meeting a board member questioned this decision and now the president of the board is  having a special meeting to discuss the fence.  Does the original vote not count  because board members are feeling pressure from the community?

Does the original vote not count  because board members are feeling pressure from the community?

No - assuming the board had the authority to have the fence installed, the original vote stands, at least for now. But, as the responses above to the original question asked in this thread state, the motion to install the fence can be rescinded or amended at a subsequent board meeting, that is, if the fence hasn't already been installed. If it has been installed, then a new motion would have to be made to alter or remove the fence.

Thank you all so much for responding.  I am in my last few months of a 3 yr term with this group and will be glad when its over.  How convenient that certain votes can be changed, but others cannot(or conveniently for them I believed that).  I have learned a lot, mostly that I will never do this again!  Sorry for being so cynical. 

Archived