The Official RONR Q & A Forums

do our class reunion finances have any thing to do with our alumni association finances

Guest maria coleman

Our alumni and class  members just had our 45th class reunion. Now its time to tally up and the committee chairman of the reunion who is also one of the alumni associations business managers is

saying the finances from the reunion do not come under the class alumni association. Could this be true or is he just as they say talking off the top of his head? We are all graduates of the the same

high school class. How can he say it is separate? He was asked to give a report on the reunion to

the alumni association, and now he is saying it does not fall under our alumni association. These

are the some of the same people that pay their dues to the alumni association(some pay and some

have never paid), but the re-union was for the class.Please give your in-site. Thanks

It's quite possible that the finances of the class reunion are entirely separate from the finances of the alumni association. One thing's for certain: no one here knows. It's been my (limited) experience that, while the alumni association may help with such things as mailing lists, reunions tend to be financed independently (i.e. by selling tickets). There will be members of the alumni association who won't want to attend the reunion and attendees (e.g. spouses) who may not be members of the alumni association.

By the way, is this the same reunion that was discussed here?

If the alumni association has not voted to hold a class reunion, then there is no reason to think that the finances would have anything to do with the alumni association. For the high school I attended, the alumni association puts on a reunion banquet each year with special emphasis on the classes that graduated 10, 20, 30... years ago. But if I wanted, there's nothing to prevent me from inviting my classmates to an event that I organized and calling it a reunion. How I pay for that event would be up to me, but I have no reason to expect the alumni association to pay for it.

If the alumni association has not voted to hold a class reunion, then there is no reason to think that the finances would have anything to do with the alumni association. For the high school I attended, the alumni association puts on a reunion banquet each year with special emphasis on the classes that graduated 10, 20, 30... years ago. But if I wanted, there's nothing to prevent me from inviting my classmates to an event that I organized and calling it a reunion. How I pay for that event would be up to me, but I have no reason to expect the alumni association to pay for it.

Now that it has been clarified that this is the same reunion as is discussed in this thread, it would seem that there is indeed a connection between the association and the reunion. Indeed, it seems to be run by a committee of the association.

I'm not sure that this definitively answers the OP's question, but these facts seem sufficient to lean toward the presumption that the reunion does indeed fall under the association, and if the reunion chairman is claiming that it does not, the burden of proof lies with him.

Now that it has been clarified that this is the same reunion as is discussed in this thread, it would seem that there is indeed a connection between the association and the reunion. Indeed, it seems to be run by a committee of the association.

I'm not sure that this definitively answers the OP's question, but these facts seem sufficient to lean toward the presumption that the reunion does indeed fall under the association, and if the reunion chairman is claiming that it does not, the burden of proof lies with him.

Josh, we actually have three separate threads about this reunion. The three threads provide conflicting information.   I'm afraid we don't know enough about what is going on to say whether the "reunion committee" is part of some kind of "alumni association" and whether the reunion finances have anything to do with the alumni association finances.   Without us knowing more about their structure, I'm very uneasy about wading into this. 

I know every school  district and class and alumni association is different, but I went to one of my high school reunions this past weekend and I can say pretty definitely that this reunion and all of our previous reunions were completely self-financed by those of us attending the reunion.  No alumni association had anything to do with it. 

I can see how that could be different elsewhere and that some alumni association may have created a committee to handle the reunion, but I don't think we know enough to weigh in yet.

Now that it has been clarified . . . 

Josh, we actually have three separate threads about this reunion. The three threads provide conflicting information.

I think I'm with Mr. Brown on this one. I see little clarification given the fact that there are three threads on the same subject.

Archived