The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Jefferson Quote

Weldon Merritt

How's this...

And whether these forms be in all cases the most rational or not is not really of so great importance. It is much more material that there should be a rule to go by than what the rule is; that there may be a uniformity of proceeding in business not subject to the caprice of the Speaker or captiousness of the members.

Lifted from Jefferson's Manual  1801, Section 1, second paragraph, and attributed therein to "2 Hats. 149"  (I never could figure out how to use the reference to Hatsell, but RONR mentions that (English) book on p. xxxvii.)

Thanks, John. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I am the Topic Master for my Toastmasters Club meeting tomorrow, and the theme (at my suggestion) is "Rules of Order" in honor of Thomas Jefferson's birthday. I am planning to use that quote as the basis for one of my topic questions.

How's this...

And whether these forms be in all cases the most rational or not is not really of so great importance. It is much more material that there should be a rule to go by than what the rule is; that there may be a uniformity of proceeding in business not subject to the caprice of the Speaker or captiousness of the members.

Lifted from Jefferson's Manual  1801, Section 1, second paragraph, and attributed therein to "2 Hats. 149"  (I never could figure out how to use the reference to Hatsell, but RONR mentions that (English) book on p. xxxvii.)

According to this site http://www.constitution.org/tj/tj-mpp.htm, the actual quote is:

"And whether these forms be in all cases the most rational or not, is really not of so great importance. It is much more material that there should be a rule to go by, than what that rule is; that there may be an uniformity of proceeding in business, not subject to the caprice of the Speaker, or captiousness of the members."

Edited to add: A slightly different version appears in the 1st edition of Robert's Rules of Order, and yet another slightly different version appears in the Rules of the House of Representatives. But I prefer the version with the quaint spelling "an uniform."

Thank you for the corrections; my eye jumped around a bit when copying it from my source:  the reprint of the 2nd Ed. (1812) of J's Manual found in the Princeton U. Press Papers of T.J., "Jefferson's Parliamentary Writings", 1998.  The 2nd. Ed. is what is linked to in Shmuel's citation.

I presume the text is the same in the First (1801) edition.

Here it is again, corrected, for those who want to do a copy/paste...

And whether these forms be in all cases the most rational or not, is really not of so great importance. It is much more material that there should be a rule to go by, than what that rule is; that there may be an uniformity of proceeding in business, not subject to the caprice of the Speaker, or captiousness of the members.

Archived