The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Pronouns

Shmuel Gerber

I think that nothing you added caused anyone to change their advice.

I will simply take this opportunity to point out that despite all vehement protestations to the contrary, many (and probably most) people who speak and write Standard English freely make use of "singular they" when it suits their purposes.

I will simply take this opportunity to point out that despite all vehement protestations to the contrary, many (and probably most) people who speak and write Standard English freely make use of "singular they" when it suits their purposes.

Well, it seems to me that many (and probably most) people who speak and write standard English often regard the word "anyone", when used in a context such as this, as referring to one or more persons, thus inviting use of the plural "they".

Okay, so in these instances they aren't using a singular "they" to suit their purposes.

Each type of usage needs to be judged on its own merits, but I was using "singular they" to encompass a variety of instances where either the antecedent of "they" (or "their," etc.) is grammatically singular or the word is clearly referring to one person. True, one could differentiate between this:

"I think that nothing you added caused anyone to change their advice"

and this example (cited in the Wikipedia entry on "Singular they"):

"Somebody left their umbrella in the office. Would they please collect it?"

The only points I was trying to make are that things are not as simple as Mr. Novosielski's fourth-grade teacher might have made them out to be, and that what people say about grammar frequently does not comport with real-world usage, including their own.

(And, in case my ruminations on the subject are making anyone nervous, he, she, and they may rest assured that the authorship team currently has no plans to use the "singular they" in the next edition of RONR in any way, shape, or form.)

(And, in case my ruminations on the subject are making anyone nervous, he, she, and they may rest assured that the authorship team currently has no plans to use the "singular they" in the next edition of RONR in any way, shape, or form.)

This is comforting, although I can't imagine why the authorship team would spend any time at all just to make changes (even avoiding the "singular they") simply for purposes of political correctness.

This is comforting, although I can't imagine why the authorship team would spend any time at all just to make changes (even avoiding the "singular they") simply for purposes of political correctness.

Perhaps the 13th edition will use "she" instead of "he" as the default singular pronoun. Or at least include sample minutes where the president is female and the secretary is male. And maybe a treasurer's report where the treasurer is female (sorry Richard Larsen). Though it's good to see that Colleen Burke is on the Auditing Committee.

#MargaretDuffyForPresident

And not refer to "Mrs. Smith" as a "chairman"

And not refer to all the women as "Mrs.". Surely there must be some unmarried women in the L.M. (Lonely Men?) Society. Or not?

Okay, maybe the 14th edition.

Are you kidding? By the time the 12th edition is published, phrases such as "he or she" are likely to be as politically incorrect as generic "he" is nowadays.

Perhaps the 13th edition will use "she" instead of "he" as the default singular pronoun. Or at least include sample minutes where the president is female and the secretary is male. And maybe a treasurer's report where the treasurer is female (sorry Richard Larsen). 

Does nothing satisfy you? We went out of our way to make sure that the treasurer against whom charges are brought was clearly identified as being a female (pp. 657-61).

Edited to add: Shucks, Shmuel beat me to it.

Archived