The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest Chante'

There are only 2 people running, if we have a tie, we vote again?  Tie, again.  Vote, again?

Someone said that the president can vote ahead and hold his vote until votes are tallied and if a tie, we use his vote.

Is this correct?

Someone said that the president can vote ahead and hold his vote until votes are tallied and if a tie, we use his vote.

Is this correct?

No.

Assuming you're voting by ballot (which, for elections, you should be), the president votes with all the other members.

If you're not voting by ballot the president can vote when his vote will affect the outcome (i.e in the event of a tie). But he doesn't vote "ahead". He waits until there's a tie and then he votes.

But, again, this doesn't apply to voting by ballot which is how elections should be conducted.

Assuming you're voting by ballot (which, for elections, you should be), the president votes with all the other members.

If you're not voting by ballot the president can vote when his vote will affect the outcome (i.e in the event of a tie). But he doesn't vote "ahead". He waits until there's a tie and then he votes.

But, again, this doesn't apply to voting by ballot which is how elections should be conducted.

if the voting is not by ballot, wouldn't the president also be able to vote to create a tie as well as to break a tie?  Wouldn't the rule that the president can vote whenever his vote will affect the result apply here?  A vote to create a tie definitely affects the result.

if the voting is not by ballot, wouldn't the president also be able to vote to create a tie as well as to break a tie?  Wouldn't the rule that the president can vote whenever his vote will affect the result apply here?  A vote to create a tie definitely affects the result.

Yes, I should have used "e.g." instead of "i.e.".

If you're not voting by ballot the president can vote when his vote will affect the outcome (i.e in the event of a tie).

What happens if the vote continues to be a tie over and over?

Yes we are voting by ballot.

That is extremely unlikely. At some point someone who doesn't feel as strongly about who should be vice president will either not vote, switch their vote to the other guy, simply go home,  or even fall asleep because they are tired. Once that happens, the tie is broken and the decision is made.

That is extremely unlikely. At some point someone who doesn't feel as strongly about who should be vice president will either not vote, switch their vote to the other guy, simply go home,  or even fall asleep because they are tired. Once that happens, the tie is broken and the decision is made.

I agree.  And sometimes the two candidates who are tied will agree among themselves to flip a coin or draw straws and that the loser will withdraw.  And sometimes one of the candidates with will withdraw on his own.

Archived