The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Officer and board elections

debraladams

I have a question that I would like to find an answer to. It is in reference to Voting procedures.

I am currently President of a small Tenants Association for a Housing Authority. We are expecting to vote on a new Board in October.

I am not resigning my position as President and I am the only Board member that has a nominee running against me. We have nominated

a Secretary, Vice President as those were the vacancies of the Board. Both of the nominee's have resigned their nomination's. With less than

two months to go to the Vote, there are no board positions filled other than mine as the President, and our current Secretary. There are no interested

people, and to complicate everything the fellow that is running against me is not well liked and no tenant will work with him. If he should win the Vote against myself the Secretary will resign immediately.

I really need some help. Should I cancel the Vote, and recruit some interested parties? Do I post pone the Vote? Can I leave the Board as is for the time

being and is that allowed?

Thank you, I'm really feeling lost over this, and appreciate any clarity so I can do what is right.

Sincerely, Debraladams

Should I cancel the Vote, and recruit some interested parties? Do I post pone the Vote? Can I leave the Board as is for the time being and is that allowed?

You have no authority to do any of these things. The association itself could postpone the election (when the election is pending, not in advance) if it wishes to do so, but it still needs to be completed eventually. Canceling the election or leaving the board as is are not options.

You have no authority to do any of these things. The association itself could postpone the election (when the election is pending, not in advance) if it wishes to do so, but it still needs to be completed eventually. Canceling the election or leaving the board as is are not options.

Thank you for responding to me question. I am so new to this forgive me if I stumble my way through to reply.

I would like to respond to Mr. Martin, and Mr. Huynh. I am afraid there are really no interested parties to recruit. This is a senior and disabled complex and mostly the tenant's like to keep to themselves. I am trying though. I will not leave by resignation. If I am out voted I will, however because of this tenant's lack of respect for just about every person, place, or thing. I think that would be not likely, He doe's have a little following because he manipulates tenant's for a vote. I sincerely feel he has absolutely none of the values of a President. I will leave it at that. I am just concerned for the tenant's if he is voted in.

That brings up another question, He, if elected will have no board. The present Secretary will resign immediately. It would be a mess.

I'm still not sure that I understand your comment Mr. Martin. Just to be clear, The association could postpone the election scheduled for October? They would do that when? Is it appropriate to bring the issue of 2 missing seats on the board on this month's agenda?

Thank you for explaining this for me.

The association could postpone the election scheduled for October?

The election should be held as scheduled (presumably it's in the bylaws?) as Mr. Honemann indicated. If some positions remain vacant you have what's called an "incomplete" election and you keep trying to fill the positions (e.g. at subsequent meetings).

We have nominated a Secretary, Vice President as those were the vacancies of the Board. Both of the nominee's have resigned their nomination's.

Well, you can't "resign" a nomination. All you can do is tell the person who nominated you that you don't want the office and, if elected, you won't serve. But you could still be nominated.

By the way, how are the officers elected? Do the association members elect board members and then the board members elect officers? Or do the association members elect the officers directly (who then "automatically" become members of the board)?

Just to be clear, The association could postpone the election scheduled for October? They would do that when?

Yes, and they would do that when the election itself is pending. The election may be postponed to an adjourned meeting (which is preferable) or to the next regular meeting, if that is within a quarterly interval.

Is it appropriate to bring the issue of 2 missing seats on the board on this month's agenda?

If you're holding elections anyway, why wouldn't they be on the agenda?

Forget about postponing the election.

Why? The assembly has the option of postponing the election when it is pending, and with no one currently willing to serve in several of the positions, that might be a good option.

Well, the facts are a little fuzzy, and it would be nice to have an answer to the question asked by Mr. Guest in post #7, but as of now it appears that there is to be a contested election for the office of President, and nothing to indicate that completion of the election for this office will be either impossible or impractical.

Thank you Mr. Honemann. This Association is very informal, is the word that comes to mind. There seems to me that there has never been a structure to the voting procedure until now. I am the first president who has an interest in doing everything the correct way. That ia why I joined this group and have purchased the most updated version of Robert's Rules. To give you an idea; when I was elected which was during a random meeting after the president had resigned. I simply volunteered to help out in any way they may need me to. Then a member nominated me and it was seconded, and I had a box of papers dated back to 10 years or so dropped at my front door. It couldn't be any more simple. Since that day three years ago I have struggled to learn and lead with the structure that is appropriate, our Bylaws and Robert's rules. it has been coming along fine. The association would be the Housing Authority's Director. Then we have had a board of four that is the standard, a few various committees, and our 75 or so tenant's. Keeping in mind they are elderly, and disabled in different way's. 

The reason this voting season is out of control is the tenant that is running against me and the lack of interest in anyone to work with him.

I would really respect your knowledge and ask you to help with this, however you need to make that decision! This is probably not any topic your used to have popping up in your discussions!

I would also like to thank the above parties who have added to my voting issues.

The agenda was posted prior to the vacating of the two seats and is now been added. The other question from Mr. Guest. The tenant's nominate, second and accept the parties. The tenant's then vote by secret paper ballots. That is per our Bylaws. They need to be updated as they are quite old. The Secretary,( which happens to be a vacant seat) would then collect them and count, we also have added for the first year an absentee ballot. It is at that meeting the election would be completed, and the new board announced. In November our new board would take over. Just to note; I have very thoroughly gone over the responsibilities of each seat. Quoting our bylaws and the information in Robert's Rules. 

Again, I than you for your valuable information.

I don't really understand what it is that you want help with. You seem to be afraid that, if an election is held when it is supposed to be held, you will lose. No one here can do anything about that.

Your bylaws may be old, but until they are changed they must be followed. If they do not authorize the use of absentee ballots, absentee ballots may not be used.

Mr. Honemann, It is not that I am afraid of loosing. I would like to see a new tenant the position. No one can know with any certainty who will win of loose, my fear comes from what will happen to this community if he were to be elected. We have enough damage done already.

What I am trying to get some guidance with is; How do you hold an election with voting for just one position? The Bylaws do not have any information regarding that. You are correct regarding the absentee ballots, that was an idea approved by the Chairwoman of the Housing Authority. We will be renewing the Bylaws.

It seems as though the correct thing to do is have the election, designating who the president will be, and continuing on with trying to find interested parties to sit on the board. Does that seem correct? No postponing the election either?

Thank you

Mr. Honemann, It is not that I am afraid of loosing. I would like to see a new tenant the position. No one can know with any certainty who will win of loose, my fear comes from what will happen to this community if he were to be elected. We have enough damage done already.

What I am trying to get some guidance with is; How do you hold an election with voting for just one position? The Bylaws do not have any information regarding that. You are correct regarding the absentee ballots, that was an idea approved by the Chairwoman of the Housing Authority. We will be renewing the Bylaws.

It seems as though the correct thing to do is have the election, designating who the president will be, and continuing on with trying to find interested parties to sit on the board. Does that seem correct? No postponing the election either?

Thank you

Yes, I think you've got this right, but don't use absentee ballots if they are not authorized by your bylaws or by applicable law.

Archived