The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Sara

Guest sara

My special meeting addressed the particular business for which the meeting was called, then another person moved an action item on a different subject.  Motion was approved.

Days later the President declared the entire Special Meeting null and void.  Shouldn't JUST that second piece of business/motion be declared void and NOT the entire meeting?

Thank you.

Sara

5 minutes ago, Guest sara said:

My special meeting addressed the particular business for which the meeting was called, then another person moved an action item on a different subject.  Motion was approved.

Days later the President declared the entire Special Meeting null and void.  Shouldn't JUST that second piece of business/motion be declared void and NOT the entire meeting?

Thank you.

Sara

The President cannot make this kind of declaration on his own outside of a meeting, and the answer to your other question is yes, only the item that was adopted that was not a part of the special meeting call is null and void.  At the next regular meeting you can raise a point of order regarding the second motion.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest (probably "guest") Gary c
On 8/5/2016 at 0:34 PM, Hieu H. Huynh said:

Was the special meeting properly called in accordance with your bylaws?

OK now, HIeu, would you please now follow up on your asking Sara (who apparently calls herself "Guest Special Meetings" when maybe she wants to get into exclusive parties or something and thinks that drop-dead red dress somehow won't do it, although it always works for me, and also when she's tired of "Guest Sara" on the world's premier Internet parliamentary forum) about whether the meeting was properly called, since you asked it?  (I realize this is kinda house-cleaning, but since I rarely do house-cleaning in real life -- since, Good Hevvins, do I have to tell you, it  stirs up dust! --I like to encourage it on the world's premiere Internet parliamentary website.  I've gotten into discussions as to whether it is hypocritical of me (i.e., "Do as I say, not as I do.") to propose that others, i.e. you, do as I say, not as I do, so why should you reply to answers to questions you ask, since I, at home, hardly ever dust or sweep or vacuum.  In response, I respond (maybe the best way, if tediously paint-by-numbers) by asking whether, say, it's hypocritical for someone who smokes cigarettes to discourage other people from smoking.  So far, the best reply (maybe the best way to respond -- O nuts) I got was from a former house-guest, Alex, who was 21 then (so geez, might be 80 now), which was, "Yes, it's hypocrisy, and [or 'but'?  Someone please help] it's a good thing to do."  Still:  I'm not sold on whether it's intrinsically (or "implicitly," someone please help) hypocrisy, because a careful look at the dictionary definitions (in five dictionaries I have here) explicitly (at least I have that down, mirabile dictu) show that duplicity and deception are intrinsic to what hypocrisy is.)

Uh oh, I've lost track of where my parentheses are.

(O wait, that should be "(Uh oh, I've lost track of where my parentheses are.)."

And maybe my point.()

-- GcT

Archived