The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaws creators governs themselves

lipets

Sec. x provides that, “Bylaws and Policies not inconsistent with this Constitution embodying additional provisions for the government of the xxx, Org., may be adopted by the Board of Trustees.”

In addition, the Constitution, under Sec. y of ARTICLE ?, BOARD OF TRUSTEES, provides that, “The Board of Trustees the delegates shall have full authority to construe and interpret the Club's Constitution and Bylaws and Policy and may delegate this authority to its Constitution and Bylaws Committee.”

The members and delegates have no vote, its all boards game.

Help me show them them their evil ways.

Is there anything that makes this improper according to the rules. the new bylaws committee wants to change it from board to delegates.

how odd is this?

Jim

Sec. x provides that, “Bylaws and Policies not inconsistent with this Constitution embodying additional provisions for the government of the xxx, Org., may be adopted by the Board of Trustees.”

In addition, the Constitution, under Sec. y of ARTICLE ?, BOARD OF TRUSTEES, provides that, “The Board of Trustees the delegates shall have full authority to construe and interpret the Club's Constitution and Bylaws and Policy and may delegate this authority to its Constitution and Bylaws Committee.”

Is there anything that makes this improper according to the rules. the new bylaws committee wants to change it from board to delegates.

how odd is this?

Jim

First quote exactly what the Constitution says.

Is the actually a strike through in the text, with different colors?

First quote exactly what the Constitution says.

Is the actually a strike through in the text, with different colors?

Strike and colors were showing the desired changes.

exact text Constitution says

The Board of Trustees shall have full authority to construe and interpret the Club's Constitution and Bylaws and Policy and may delegate this authority to its Constitution and Bylaws Committee.

Is there anything that makes this improper according to the rules?

No.

One's bylaws is were you get to override all the rules, all the safeguards, all the recommendations, etc., of Robert's Rules of Order.

So, at least you guys are going about it the right way. :P

The new bylaws committee wants to change it from board to delegates.

How odd is this?

Not odd.

By default, all organizations start out being 100% general membership run, and 0% board run.

(There is no board until one's bylaws define a board. And, of course, you have no bylaws either until the people agree to form an organization, and draft their bylaws, and freely join the organization they just created.)

So it isn't strange to take away the power of interpretation from one's board (or never give the power in the first place).

Now, whether the general membership should be supreme, or whether, as you say, "delegates" should be supreme, depends on other factors - e.g., frequency of meetings; allowance for special meetings, etc.

Kim,

This is not a new Org, it is existing

When I said new bylaws committee I should have said New Revision committee,

These bylaws were last amended about 15 years ago.

I'm trying to take some power away from the board.

Since it is in the Board’s own interest to approve its own actions, an impartial review is unlikely and improbable as it reads

Kim,

This is not a new Org, it is existing

When I said new bylaws committee I should have said New Revision committee,

These bylaws were last amended about 15 years ago.

I'm trying to take some power away from the board.

Since it is in the Board’s own interest to approve its own actions, an impartial review is unlikely and improbable as it reads

Well, the board will have to choose to give up that power. You cannot take it away from them, unless you amend those bylaws.

Two additional questions:

A. Who gets to amend those bylaws?

B. Who elects the board?

Well, the board will have to choose to give up that power. You cannot take it away from them, unless you amend those bylaws.

Two additional questions:

A. Who gets to amend those bylaws?

B. Who elects the board?

Our special committee is revising them, reporting to the board in 3 months,

if the board adopts the revised constitution and bylaws they will be voted on by the delegates three months later.

We have about 5000 members thu out the US, Each delegate represents 35-350 members.

The board is elected by the delegates for a 1 year term.

Jim

Our special committee is revising them, reporting to the board in 3 months,

if the board adopts the revised constitution and bylaws they will be voted on by the delegates three months later.

We have about 5000 members thu out the US, Each delegate represents 35-350 members.

The board is elected by the delegates for a 1 year term.

Jim

Elect someone willing to give up power.

Archived