The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Form for Resolution with Provisos

Matt Schafer

I'm writing a resolution to amend the bylaws of our group. I'm not planning to put a preamble in it, since it's fairly straightforward. However, we do need a proviso. RONR shows the forms for resolutions with preambles but not with provisos. So, I would like some guidance from the folks who read this forum, who are all more experienced than I am.

Here's what I have drafted so far (leaving out the details of the resolution, which are not germane to my question):

Resolved, That . . . [action to be taken];

Resolved, That . . . [more action to be taken]; and

Resolved, That . . . [even more action to be taken];

Provided, That . . . [first condition]; and

Provided, That . . . [second condition].

Did I get that right, more or less? Should there be some connecting phrase between the last Resolved clause and the first Provided clause?

I'm writing a resolution to amend the bylaws of our group. I'm not planning to put a preamble in it, since it's fairly straightforward. However, we do need a proviso. RONR shows the forms for resolutions with preambles but not with provisos. So, I would like some guidance from the folks who read this forum, who are all more experienced than I am.

Here's what I have drafted so far (leaving out the details of the resolution, which are not germane to my question):

Did I get that right, more or less? Should there be some connecting phrase between the last Resolved clause and the first Provided clause?

There's a little bit about the wording of a proviso on page 578, with some suggested options.

The text of the resolution itself is the important thing. The purpose of the enacting words is to make clear to members exactly what is being done. To that end, I prefer keeping it very simple:

RESOLVED:....

RESOLVED:....

PROVIDED:....

What you have looks fine.

You can also write the resolution itself without the proviso, and make the proviso a part of the motion to adopt the resolution. E.g., "I move the adoption of the following resolution, provided that it will take effect only when at least three fifths of the cows have come home: RESOLVED..."

It depends on whether you consider the proviso as cluttering up the resolution, or as something that enhances it.

Did I get that right, more or less?

Should there be some connecting phrase between the last Resolved clause and the first Provided clause?

More or less.

The only words in each paragraph are to be:

• Whereas

• Resolved

RONR's example does not show any resolution where the lead-in word is:

• Provided

You can also write the resolution itself without the proviso, and make the proviso a part of the motion to adopt the resolution. E.g., "I move the adoption of the following resolution, provided that it will take effect only when at least three fifths of the cows have come home: RESOLVED..."

Unless the provisos are especially lengthy, this is likely the best course of action. Otherwise, a separate sheet entitled "Provisos Relating to Transition" could be prepared.

I would not advise the strategy of the "Provided" clauses. The reason to include the proviso in the motion which incorporates the resolution, rather than in the resolution itself, is so that it is clear that the proviso is not a part of the Bylaws.

Archived