The Official RONR Q & A Forums

election of an officer

Guest Donna

A current officer with a two year position was nominated and accepted a one year position. He lost his election for the one year position. Does he still hold his prior two year position for the duration of his term??

Yes (unless he was foolish enough to resign his office prior to the election).

By the way, he did not "accept a one-year position". At best, all he accepted was a nomination. And no acceptance was necessary.

A current officer with a two year position was nominated and accepted a one year position.

He lost his election for the one year position.

Does he still hold his prior two year position for the duration of his term?

Yes.

A candidate (i.e., someone who was nominated) never automatically forfeits his other committeeships, officerships, positions, etc., merely because his name was put up for an election.

In fact, The Book says that there is no limit as to the number of officerships, committeeships, etc., which one may hold.

So, your candidate, should he win, in theory, could hold 2 or 4 or 8, up to [N] offices.

He's be like that guy in Gilbert & Sullivan's "The Mikado".

KO KO

Pooh-Bah, it seems that the festivities in connection with my approaching marriage must last a week. I should like to do it handsomely, and I want to consult you as to the amount I ought to spend upon them.

POOH-BAH

Certainly. In which of my capacities? As First Lord of the Treasury, Lord Chamberlain, Attorney General, Chancellor of the Exchequer, Privy Purse, or Private Secretary?

A candidate (i.e., someone who was nominated) never automatically forfeits his other committeeships, officerships, positions, etc., merely because his name was put up for an election.

In fact, The Book says that there is no limit as to the number of officerships, committeeships, etc., which one may hold.

So, your candidate, should he win, in theory, could hold 2 or 4 or 8, up to [N] offices.

He's be like that guy in Gilbert & Sullivan's "The Mikado".

Well, the book admits that "strictly speaking" there is no rule in RONR against it. But it also suggests (if less melodiously than G. & S. did) that allowing this practice might not be the very best idea the society ever had.

Archived