The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elected Board

Guest Larry DeVenny

Our BY Law stated that our membership must be over 6 months old before accepted to be elected an Board of Directors. A member have 4 months when the elected was done in November 2010 but it will be a member's 6 month when he become an Board of Directors. I wonder if it is a proper process? Does it has counted specific on the elected, not on the day of oath?

Our BY Law stated that our membership must be over 6 months old before accepted to be elected an Board of Directors. A member have 4 months when the elected was done in November 2010 but it will be a member's 6 month when he become an Board of Directors. I wonder if it is a proper process? Does it has counted specific on the elected, not on the day of oath?

Since you all put that requirement in the bylaws it will be up to you all to interpret what that requirement means. See RONR pp. 570-573 for some principles to help with that.

Without reading the exact language of your bylaws in their entirety, there's no way for us to tell (and is beyond the scope of this forum).

A paraphrase is certainly not enough to tell anything.

If it says they have to be a member for six months to be elected, that's one thing. If it says they have to be a member for six months to hold office, that's something else.

The answer is not in RONR, it's in your bylaws, which you have to read carefully.

Archived