The Official RONR Q & A Forums

District Chair Election

Guest Terri

Our Chapter is divided up into districts. One of our districts has had no leadership for a year. Technically, if all steps were conducted per the bylaws the district should have been dissolved. It wasn't and we now have someone interested in becoming the District Chair. My question is: Since this position has been empty for a year, does an election within the district need to be held or can the position be appointed? If appointed, by whom? The Chapter President? The Board of Directors? The district and chapter bylaws do not address this issue.

Thank you.

My question is: Since this position has been empty for a year, does an election within the district need to be held or can the position be appointed? If appointed, by whom? The Chapter President? The Board of Directors? The district and chapter bylaws do not address this issue.

If your bylaws provide no provision for an appointment, then no appointment is possible. You would typically fill the vacancy in the way it's normally filled (e.g. by election).

Our Chapter is divided up into districts.

One of our districts has had no leadership for a year.

Technically, if all steps were conducted per the bylaws the district should have been dissolved.

It wasn't and we now have someone interested in becoming the District Chair.

My question is: Since this position has been empty for a year, does an election within the district need to be held or can the position be appointed? If appointed, by whom? The Chapter President? The Board of Directors?

The district and chapter bylaws do not address this issue.

I wouldn't go so far and say that. -- You have rules which DEFINE "districts". You have rules which describe where they come from, and where they go when they die. :rolleyes:

Since your question is purely on administration and interpretation of your own unique rules, and since your question isn't really on the subject of Robert's Rules of Order, then no answer will be forthcoming from The Book's 700+ pages.

Someone will have to read your rules, and determine which method of establishing leadership positions is possible, or at least, which method is not in violation of your rules.

Archived