The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations past deadline

Guest Guest_L. Collicott

Guest Guest_L. Collicott

I am in need of assistance here. I am the secretary for MAAD (Midwest Athletic Association for the Deaf) MAAD.org and our President resigned, our VP moved up leaving the VP position open. I have copied and pasted Article 6, section 10 for you to read.

SECTION 10 VACANCY – In the event of a vacancy for any of the elected Officers on the

Executive Board, the Executive Board shall notify the MAAD Club Members of the vacancy and

shall set a deadline date for nominations from the Club Members to fill the vacancy. After the

deadline has passed, the Executive Board shall review all nominations received from the Club

Members, and shall appoint a new Officer from one of the nominated individuals.

We sent out two memos to all the member clubs asking for nominations. The first deadline came and went and no nominations were sent to MAAD so we sent out another memo asking for nominations. January 31st was the 2nd deadline. This morning I got a nomination via email from the club's secretary and a 2nd nomination verbally through a club member not the club secretary herself. Our meeting is March 3rd and so my question is what do we do with the nominations that came after the deadline?

Several board members feel it's too late that the deadline has passed and that the nominees need to show up to the delegate meeting and we appoint them there. My concern is not having a VP president. What do you recommend that we do?

Thank you in advance.

Several board members feel it's too late that the deadline has passed and that the nominees need to show up to the delegate meeting and we appoint them there.

If the deadline is a real deadline and you can only appoint a nominee submitted before the deadline, what's this about appointing someone who shows up in person? If you can do that, just do it and forget about the (late) nominations.

our President resigned, our VP moved up leaving the VP position open.

I have copied and pasted Article 6, section 10 for you to read.

SECTION 10 VACANCY – In the event of a vacancy for any of the elected Officers on the

Executive Board, the Executive Board shall notify the MAAD Club Members of the vacancy and

shall set a deadline date for nominations from the Club Members to fill the vacancy. After the

deadline has passed, the Executive Board shall review all nominations received from the Club

Members, and shall appoint a new Officer from one of the nominated individuals.

We sent out two memos to all the member clubs asking for nominations.

The first deadline came and went and no nominations were sent to MAAD so we sent out another memo asking for nominations.

January 31st was the 2nd deadline.

This morning I got a nomination via email from the club's secretary and a 2nd nomination verbally through a club member not the club secretary herself.

Our meeting is March 3rd and so my question is what do we do with the nominations that came after the deadline?

Several board members feel it's too late that the deadline has passed and that the nominees need to show up to the delegate meeting and we appoint them there.

My concern is not having a VP president.

What do you recommend that we do?

Good news.

The deadline for nominations is a rule "in the nature of a rule of order".

As such, they are suspendable.

So, in a meeting, you can move to suspend the rules and re-open nominations.

Add all the names you want, then.

Close nominations.

Hold your election.

Problem solved.

[m]y question is what do we do with the nominations that came after the deadline?

What do you recommend that we do?

You would need to look to the bylaws in their entirety to say for sure (quoting a single provision usually doesn't give us the full picture) but it seems as if the nomination was given after the deadline it cannot be considered in the way that the provision describes. However, (and this is where you need to look to the entire bylaws for the whole picture) it could be possible that these people could be nominated from the floor or could be elected as a write-in at the Board meeting.

If the deadline is a real deadline and you can only appoint a nominee submitted before the deadline, what's this about appointing someone who shows up in person? If you can do that, just do it and forget about the (late) nominations.

Ok, do we do it during the EB meeting which is on Thursday or during the delegate meeting which is Friday morning? Do we need new nominations from the delegates or use the 2 late nominations?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm really new to this and would just like to follow proper procedeure.

Ok, do we do it during the EB meeting which is on Thursday or during the delegate meeting which is Friday morning? Do we need new nominations from the delegates or use the 2 late nominations?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm really new to this and would just like to follow proper procedeure.

I am not sure where the delegates factor into the situation since they were not mentioned in the bylaw provision you gave us. As for the nominations I am not completely sure that the rules can be suspended to re-open nominations but it may be a proper option-stay tuned for other opinions.

Ok, do we do it during the EB meeting which is on Thursday or during the delegate meeting which is Friday morning?

I see I failed to note the distinction between the board meeting and the delegates meeting. Certainly the board can't do anything at the delegates meeting since the board, as a board,, won't be there (the board can only act as a board at board meetings).

Other than that, I'm afraid you'll have to interpret your own rules.

I am not sure where the delegates factor into the situation since they were not mentioned in the bylaw provision you gave us. As for the nominations I am not completely sure that the rules can be suspended to re-open nominations but it may be a proper option-stay tuned for other opinions.

Delegates are club representatives of their own individual clubs which are affliated to MAAD as a member club. Hope this helps.

Archived