The Official RONR Q & A Forums

request copy of minutes

Guest rebecca ball

I just requested a copy of my local little league's board minutes. They responded stating that they do not release minutes to their meetings. I thought all minutes were public information unless they went into closed session. Nothing is stated in the constitution regarding the release of minutes. Any thoughts???

"A record of the board's proceedings should be kept by the secretary, just as in any other assembly; these minutes are accessible only to the members of the board unless the board grants permission to a member of the society to inspect them, or unless the society by a two-thirds vote (or the vote of a majority of the total membership, or a majority vote if previous notice is given) orders the board's minutes to be produced and read to the society's assembly." RONR, p. 470

I just requested a copy of my local little league's board minutes.

They responded stating that they do not release minutes to their meetings.

I thought all minutes were public information unless they went into closed session.

Not true.

According to Robert's Rules of Order, there is no such "public" requirement.

Minutes belong to the body who generated those minutes.

Thus, the minutes of a board belong to the board.

Thus, the minutes of the general membership belong to the general membership.

Thus, the minutes of a committee belong to the committee.

Not true.

According to Robert's Rules of Order, there is no such "public" requirement.

Minutes belong to the body who generated those minutes.

Thus, the minutes of a board belong to the board.

Thus, the minutes of the general membership belong to the general membership.

Thus, the minutes of a committee belong to the committee.

Kim,

Does this mean that the membership CAN request minutes from the last membership meeting because they belong to the general membership?

Thank you!

This post is about obtaining a copy of the minutes of a board meeting by a general member of the society who is not a member of the board.

But Diane was talking about the Membership requesting the minutes from a Membership meeting unless she was using the term "membership" differently than I am.

But Diane was talking about the Membership requesting the minutes from a Membership meeting . . .

But rebecca ball wasn't. Confusing, isn't it.

In any event, members have a right to access the minutes, not a right to a copy of them. Of course they can always ask but, barring a policy, the minutes aren't the secretary's to give away.

I just requested a copy of my local little league's board minutes. They responded stating that they do not release minutes to their meetings. I thought all minutes were public information unless they went into closed session. Nothing is stated in the constitution regarding the release of minutes. Any thoughts???

So far as RONR is concerned, only members of the board have the right to view the minutes, and no one has a right to a copy of the minutes. The general membership may order the minutes to be read at a meeting by a 2/3 vote, vote of a majority of the entire membership, or a majority vote with previous notice. The general membership could Suspend the Rules to order the board to give out a copy of the minutes, which would require a 2/3 vote.

"Public information" is a legal term, not a parliamentary one. If the little league board is a public body it may be bound by "Open Meeting Laws" or "Sunshine Laws" which may give the public the right to view the minutes. Such laws are, however, beyond the scope of this forum. You should consult a lawyer or the office of your state's Secretary of State if you wish to pursue this possibility.

Does this mean that the membership CAN request minutes from the last membership meeting because they belong to the general membership?

Any member has a right to view minutes of a meeting of the general membership. The general membership could order that someone be given a copy by majority vote.

Archived