The Official RONR Q & A Forums

employee on board

tjkiefaber

We are nonprofit, with a 7 member board.

A motion was made for

an employee to be put on the board of directors,

That just don't sound right to me.

Is there something in the rule ?

Yeah. That don't sound no how kosher to me neither. ;)

Q. What are you going to do when "evaluation" time comes around?

You won't be able to order that person from the meeting room, when you discuss his performance, and his salary.

As a member, he gets to sit in on 100% of the business.

He'll be a-sittin' right thar, whittlin' his scrimshaw, a listenin' and a carvin'.

Q. What will you do then? :blink:

we are nonprofit, with a 7 member board , a motion was made for an employee to be put on the board of directors ,

that just dont sound right to me is there something in the rule ?

I wouldn't recommend it, but no rule in RONR prevents it. Check your Bylaws to see if there is a rule against it. If there isn't, just vote against him and persuade your fellow members to do likewise.

we are nonprofit, with a 7 member board , a motion was made for an employee to be put on the board of directors ,

that just dont sound right to me is there something in the rule ?

Okay, let's take this slowly. You can't just "put" someone on the board with a motion. Did you mean that he was nominated to run for a seat on the board? Because if not, then the motion's not even in order. The size and composition of your board is set out in the bylaws, and how members get on the board, which is probably by election.

Others have pointed out what a bad idea it is to have a paid employee of the board on the board. While he may be eligible to run, that is certainly a valid campaign issue. I'd probably vote for someone else, and advise others to do the same.

Is this paid position in the nature of an Executive Director? Because those are fairly common, but you need to put some rules in your bylaws to facilitate the proper relationship between the ED and the board, setting up a job description and provide for personnel evaluations, salary reviews, etc. Often the ED is required by language in the job description to attend meetings of the board unless excused, but is not made a "member" of the board, which would carry voting rights and the other problems along with it.

And, by "vote against him", Mr. Martin means vote for someone else.

Well, since the post says "a motion was made for an employee to be put on the board of directors," I'm not sure that's what I do mean. Hopefully we can have some clarification on that if the poster answers Mr. Foulkes' question.

Okay, let's take this slowly. You can't just "put" someone on the board with a motion. Did you mean that he was nominated to run for a seat on the board? Because if not, then the motion's not even in order. The size and composition of your board is set out in the bylaws, and how members get on the board, which is probably by election.

Another possibility is that the society is filling a vacancy, in which case it is not required to use the nomination/election procedure. In filling a vacancy, a motion to appoint a specific individual is in order.

Archived