The Official RONR Q & A Forums

annual meeting

Guest Sharon

Our Board President has decided to refuse to take nominations from the floor for open Board positions at the annual meeting. Previously, the Board mailed a Nomination form to some of the members but it seems the mailing list was incomplete. That letter gave a deadline for nominations and he now considers this to be sufficient and that there is no need for open nominations on election day. I think the incomplete mailings should be enough to stop this maneuver, BUT can I rely on RONR to protect the members and allow them to make nominations at the meeting?

This tied with his removal from names from the list created by those who actually responded to the main-in nominations, makes the whole election suspect. Is there any solution in law.. okay, probably beyond this forum. Just let me know if someone can refuse nominations from the floor.

Our Board President has decided to refuse to take nominations from the floor for open Board positions at the annual meeting. Previously, the Board mailed a Nomination form to some of the members but it seems the mailing list was incomplete. That letter gave a deadline for nominations and he now considers this to be sufficient and that there is no need for open nominations on election day. I think the incomplete mailings should be enough to stop this maneuver, BUT can I rely on RONR to protect the members and allow them to make nominations at the meeting?

This tied with his removal from names from the list created by those who actually responded to the main-in nominations, makes the whole election suspect. Is there any solution in law.. okay, probably beyond this forum. Just let me know if someone can refuse nominations from the floor.

Unless the bylaws prohibit nominations from the floor they must be asked for (RONR p. 417). You should ask the President under what authority he thinks he can prohibit floor nominations. If he can't come up with a satisfactory answer make a nomination from the floor and be prepared to Appeal any ruling that the nomination is out of order (make sure you have someone to second the Appeal).

Archived