The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is there a difference between OP and Bylaws

Guest Dan B

I'll bet you have the equivalent of bylaws in the statutes or other municipal code that created your "governmental board". You don't exist in a vacuum. Does a document somewhere say, for example, how your officers -- chair, secretary, treasurer(if you have funds) -- are appointed or elected? What you are supposed to do? To whom do you report? That document is (a part of) your "bylaws", I would suspect.

And that may be all you need, once you have updated your "procedures" to reflect how you do whatever it is you are required to do by your governmental "masters".

I'll bet you have the equivalent of bylaws in the statutes or other municipal code that created your "governmental board". You don't exist in a vacuum. Does a document somewhere say, for example, how your officers -- chair, secretary, treasurer(if you have funds) -- are appointed or elected? What you are supposed to do? To whom do you report? That document is (a part of) your "bylaws", I would suspect.

And that may be all you need, once you have updated your "procedures" to reflect how you do whatever it is you are required to do by your governmental "masters".

Thanks for the assistance. The only thing in statute is the recognition that the board exists and is appointed by the governor, who also appoints the chair and vice chair. There is nothing additional in statute. Everything else is listed in the operating procedures.

How do you know what you are supposed to do? Your "commission"?

If that is in the "Operating Procedures" I'll bet changing that is up to the governor, or the legislature.

Maybe it's time to consult with your staff legal advisor to find out how much freedom you do have to change your OPs before you start monkeying with them and use up time for naught.

Archived