The Official RONR Q & A Forums

What goes "In Camera"

Guest J

I need to know the rules re: "In Camera" items. Our executive board received an e-mail resignation from an executive member. This correspondence was read aloud at our monthly executive meeting, recorded in the minutes but no formal acceptance of the resignation discussed. The next day, the resignation was rescinded. In the past (yes, it has occurred 2x's this year already), when the minutes were sent out for approval, the secretary was advised to change this information (resignations/rescinding resignation) in the minutes to "In Camera". There have been questions as to the validity of recording resignations/rescinding resignations as "in camera" items after the fact. Thanks

I need to know the rules re: "In Camera" items.

The form and content of the minutes of meetings held "in executive session" (RONR-speak for "in camera") are no different than the minutes of so-called "open" meetings. In neither case should the minutes include correspondence or discussion or debate. The minutes should only record what was done (e.g. motions).

So it's not items that are "in camera", it's meetings (or parts of meetings) that are held "in executive session". And what this means is that the business conducted therein is confidential.

Further, the minutes should not be sent out "for approval". A draft can be distributed to all members but approval can only occur at a meeting (usually the next regular meeting).

Finally, a resignation can't be rescinded but, up until the point at which it is formally accepted, it can be withdrawn. And if it is accepted, or rejected, that decision belongs in the minutes, executive session or not.

I need to know the rules re: "In Camera" items. Our executive board received an e-mail resignation from an executive member. This correspondence was read aloud at our monthly executive meeting, recorded in the minutes but no formal acceptance of the resignation discussed. The next day, the resignation was rescinded. In the past (yes, it has occurred 2x's this year already), when the minutes were sent out for approval, the secretary was advised to change this information (resignations/rescinding resignation) in the minutes to "In Camera". There have been questions as to the validity of recording resignations/rescinding resignations as "in camera" items after the fact. Thanks

First, a resignation cannot be Rescinded generally. However, depending on what exactly went on regarding the resignation (was there a motion that the resignation be accepted or was a letter read and it was left at that?) it might have been possible for the member to withdraw the resignation unilaterally. Can you tell us exactly what was done regarding this member's resignation?

Second, I am not sure if you are using the term "In Camera" the way it is usually used. Usually "In Camera" is the same thing as an Executive Session (where members are bound to keep whatever was discussed and done during that time secret subject to disciplinary actions if the secrecy of the Executive Session is violated).

I need to know the rules re: "In Camera" items.

Our executive board received an e-mail resignation from an executive member.

This correspondence was read aloud at our monthly executive meeting, recorded in the minutes but no formal acceptance of the resignation discussed.

Emphasis on "no formal acceptance of the resignation discussed."

This is key!

It was an e-mail, so apparently the member who was "resigning" was not in person at this meeting.

The next day, the resignation was rescinded.

Whoa! :o

Q. What do you mean "the next day"? -- Do you mean "outside of a meeting"?

Q. What do you mean by "rescinded"? -- Do you mean, "the person who 'resigned' changed his mind"?

In the past (yes, it has occurred 2x's this year already), when the minutes were sent out for approval, the secretary was advised to change this information (resignations/rescinding resignation) in the minutes to "In Camera".

Double "Whoa!" :o:o

You mean, Action X was presented or read-aloud as part of the normal segment of the meeting, and DAYS LATER the secretary inserted new, false data, that Action X occurred in-camera?

You can't do that. -- You cannot falsify minutes, on your own, as a mere secretary.

(It take a majority to lie and to falsify data.) ;)

There have been questions as to the validity of recording resignations/rescinding resignations as "in camera" items after the fact.

Jawohl! :o

I should say so!

I'm thinking that if a resignation is withdrawn after the meeting at which it was not properly accepted, it should not be mentioned in the minutes. At the next meeting, I'd think it should be somehow noted (although I'm not sure how [under what order of business], so I'll leave that to others here) that the resignation previously received (as noted and discussed in the previous meeting's minutes) had been withdrawn, to avoid any confusion of its status.

I'd say that just because some action, such as a resignation being received, takes place between meetings, the Secretary does not being "recording" that action in the minutes-of-the-upcoming-meeting in advance. It needs to be brought up at a meeting to make it into the minutes. Similarly, a withdrawal of a resignation, even if it comes the day after adjournment, must wait to be recorded in the next meeting's minutes. This would not be properly considered a correction of the minutes, because it hasn't "happened" yet, as for as that record goes.

Archived