The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Committee Recommendation

Guest inquiringmind

A motion in the form of a recommendation from the executive board committee comes before a monthly assembly and the recommendation passes. New information comes forth, prior to the information being voted up the assembly is giving some very persuasive information therefore resulting in a favorable vote. The question: Can a executive board committee recommendation be ammended in the form of amending something previously adopted since it was brought as a recommendation and needs no second rather than being brought as a motion?

I'm not sure what a "motion in the form of a recommendation" is. Or more specifically, I don't get the difference you're trying to draw in differentiating between a motion passing and a recommendation passing. The second sentence you've written is terrifically confusing to me!

As to your question, if there was something moved and adopted, you should be able to amend it at a later meeting, all other things being equal. I don't see what difference there would be about a second. Remember, a motion from a committee has already been (presumed) seconded because it came from a committee of multiple persons (unless the committee was 1 or 0). It does not need an additional 2nd.

Let me get this straight. The membership received a recommendation from the executive board committee, and the membership adopted the recommendation (it "passes"). Now the membership wants to change what it adopted. The first question is, can the membership change what it adopted? Answer: generally, yes.

And the second question is, does proposing this change require a second? Answer: yes.

A couple of comments.

1. Usually there is a board of directors, and sometimes an "executive committee" within the board. This "executive board committee" term is somewhat confusing, and could probably be simplified, to be clearer, with no loss in meaning.

2. A motion is a proposal that the group do something. That means that accepting, or adopting, a recommendation requires a motion that the recommendation be accepted or adopted. This is, unless your group has invented whole new procdures for itself (probably a bad idea).

I don't think so, Gary. I agree with everything you've said. Where do you see our disagreement? This is an especially confusing wording in the 1st post.

I didn't take the question at hand to be does the motion to amend require a second, but rather, can we use the motion to amend, whereas the originally adopted 'thing" was such a "thing" that IT didn't require a 2nd?

Yes, tc, I too found the Origiinal Posthard to follow. My answer was that the motion to to Amend Something Previously adopted requires a second (p. 295 or so). Our apparent disagreement was that, um, I answered yes, and you seemed to answer no, no second is necessary, based on the exception at the top of p. 35. This apparent disagreement our different interpretations of what the Original Poster said.

(Man, I sometimes prefer the night tour. At least the time-and-a-quarter makes the aggravation easier to take.)

Yes, tc, I too found the Origiinal Posthard to follow. My answer was that the motion to to Amend Something Previously adopted requires a second (p. 295 or so). Our apparent disagreement was that, um, I answered yes, and you seemed to answer no, no second is necessary, based on the exception at the top of p. 35. This apparent disagreement our different interpretations of what the Original Poster said.

Rest assured we are on the same page. A 2nd is required to the motion to amend something previously adopted.

I suppose I made that less clear by trying to help the OP understand the issue of a lack of a 2nd in a motion from a committee is not relevant.

Remember, a motion from a committee has already been (presumed) seconded because it came from a committee of multiple persons (unless the committee was 1 or 0). It does not need an additional 2nd.

Umm, what's the quorum for a committee of zero? And how does the chair get appointed? How can you tell when it rises? And what constitutes the majority opinion?

Archived