The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Agenda topics

Guest Lorna

When creating an agenda. Under old business or a topic that has been previously been introduce, can the chairman state a proposed motion or suggest a motion so everyone is "on the same page"/prepared for discussion coming into the meeting?

Unless this a meeting of a "small" board (one with not more than about a dozen members present), the chair should refrain from making motions. Especially before the meeting even begins.

See also FAQ #14.

BTW, saying "old business" is likely to get you run out of RONR-land on a rail, tarred and feathered. Just like the guy who said "simple majority".

When creating an agenda. Under old business or a topic that has been previously been introduce, can the chairman state a proposed motion or suggest a motion so everyone is "on the same page"/prepared for discussion coming into the meeting?

I'm not sure I see how proposing a motion would get everyone on the same page anyway. Some might be opposed, some in favor. The point of discussion and debate is to try to persuade others onto your page.

There is no such topic as "Old Business". There is "Unfinished Business" but that is for business that is literally unfinished, i.e., that was before the assembly at the last session, but wasn't finally disposed of. It may have been pending at the time of adjournment, or intentionally postponed to this meeting.

It's fine to list those items under Unfinished Business when creating an agenda, but they won't require a motion because they have presumably been moved already, and will simply come up when it's time. You can list a brief description, so members will be reminded that this matter is going to come up. For that matter there's nothing wrong with sending a memo reminding members what matters they need to study up on. Good communication is not frowned upon by RONR.

Now, if something actually does require a new motion, because, say, it was considered in the past and defeated, then it should be put under New Business.

Part of the issue is that many people use the term "Old Business" instead of "Unfinished Business." In my experience it is due to a misconception about the terms - especially when one item on an Agenda is "New Business" - which can imply that anything that is not "new is thereby "old."

Undoubtedly.

Archived