The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaw committee reports

Guest Jeff

At our last membership meeting in January a motion was made to change our bylaws to only have 3 vice presidents instead of 4. It was passed and sent to the bylaws committee to look at and make their recommendation. At the February meeting the report from the committee was made and the recommendation from the previous meeting was agreed upon. After that report someone tried to make an amendment to the committees report by trying to go down to 2 vice-presidents. I believed this to be out of order since I didn't feel you can amend a committees recommendation or report. Am I wrong?

ok so why is that amendment out of order ?

I am not sure if this is what George and Mr. Mountcastle have in mind but I think it would be out of order because the amendment was outside of scope of notice. The bylaws now say that there are 4 VPs and the amendment is to make it 3. Any member who didn't attend the meeting would expect that either the bylaws would be amended to make it 3 VPs or the amendment would be defeated and there would still be 4 VPs and may not have attended because they don't care if it is knocked down to 3 but may have a problem with only 2. So any amendment that is outside the scope of notice would be out of order because the rights of absentees would be violated (RONR p. 244e). But stay tuned because I may be totally off the mark with what they are thinking of.

It's not clear to me that any notice was given.

The committees report was going to be the notice for the March meeting. But when they amended the committees proposal they are now saying they are giving notice with the amendment for March. Would that amendment not have to go back to the Bylaws commitee again for review?

The motion to go from 4 to 3 was voted on and approved and sent to committee for it to be written and brought back to the membership with the notice for the next meeting so it could then be voted on again to make the change official. Not sure if our president is doing things right or not thats why my questions.

The motion to go from 4 to 3 was voted on and approved and sent to committee for it to be written and brought back to the membership with the notice for the next meeting so it could then be voted on again to make the change official.

So you really referred the motion to the Bylaws committee (with instructions). That's fine. Since the amendment takes you outside of the scope of notice, you will need to provide notice again. That doesn't mean you need to refer it to the Bylaws committee again, but you certainly can if you want to. Be sure to double-check the amendment procedure in your Bylaws to see if anything there has bearing on this, as your Bylaws supersede RONR.

So you really referred the motion to the Bylaws committee (with instructions). That's fine. Since the amendment takes you outside of the scope of notice, you will need to provide notice again. That doesn't mean you need to refer it to the Bylaws committee again, but you certainly can if you want to. Be sure to double-check the amendment procedure in your Bylaws to see if anything there has bearing on this, as your Bylaws supersede RONR.

But if the report of the committee WAS to be the notice--that is, if the recommendation in the report was to be published as notification to the membership, then the recommendation, if amended before it was sent, would not be outside the scope of the notice.

We're all speculating about what's outside or within the scope of the notice, but it's not at all clear when the notice was given, if in fact it was, and what, if anything, it actually said, or will say.

Archived