The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motions Reported in Minutes

Guest Betty D

When reporting motions in minutes, it is my understanding that the name of the person making the motion and seconding does not get reported in the minutes, just state "A motion was made and seconded." I believe this was a change, but I would like some thoughts on the matter. Thank you.

When reporting motions in minutes, it is my understanding that the name of the person making the motion and seconding does not get reported in the minutes, just state "A motion was made and seconded." I believe this was a change, but I would like some thoughts on the matter.

The name of the maker, yes. The name of the seconder, no.

When reporting motions in minutes, it is my understanding that the name of the person making the motion and seconding does not get reported in the minutes, just state "A motion was made and seconded." I believe this was a change, but I would like some thoughts on the matter.

Your understanding is not correct. The name of the motion maker is recorded, but not the name of the seconder (unless ordered by the assembly). So far as I can determine, this has been the rule since at least 1876, so if it is a change it is not a recent one.

Your understanding is not correct. The name of the motion maker is recorded, but not the name of the seconder (unless ordered by the assembly). So far as I can determine, this has been the rule since at least 1876, so if it is a change it is not a recent one.

Some organizations have adopted a Special Rule of Order specifying that the name of the maker also will not be included, so it is possible that this is what the OP had in mind (either because his organziation has such a rule or he has heard about it from another organization and assumes that to be the standard rule). In any event, I agree that in the absence of such a Special Rule of Order, the name of the maker of all "imporrtant motion" should be included.

Archived