The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Modification of Ballot

Guest Jim

Can the Ballot be modified during the course of the election to add candidates that have been written in and have agreed to take part in the election.

Candidates' names are written in when their names are not included on pre-printed ballots. That's what it means to be a "write-in" candidate. If their name is pre-printed on the ballot, there's no need to write it in.

Candidates' names are written in when their names are not included on pre-printed ballots. That's what it means to be a "write-in" candidate. If their name is pre-printed on the ballot, there's no need to write it in.

They were not on the original pre-printed ballot and have recieved wriote in votes....now they have been contacted and told there were written in and asked if thy would like to become part of the pre-printed ballot.

The question is can the pre-printed ballot be modified during the course of the election to include the names of those that have been written in to this point in the election and make them a part of the pre-printed ballot going forward for the remainder of the election period.

The question is can the pre-printed ballot be modified during the course of the election to include the names of those that have been written in to this point in the election and make them a part of the pre-printed ballot going forward for the remainder of the election period.

I don't think it's proper to modify the ballot once voting has begun.

Sure. I'm also getting a strong "absentee ballot" vibe here, so I'll just remind you that absentee voting must be authorized in the Bylaws to be valid.

I don't think it's proper to modify the ballot once voting has begun.

Really? I don't see anything improper about modifying the ballot before a second round of voting. It's just usually not practical.

Sure. I'm also getting a strong "absentee ballot" vibe here, so I'll just remind you that absentee voting must be authorized in the Bylaws to be valid.

Really? I don't see anything improper about modifying the ballot before a second round of voting. It's just usually not practical.

There is no absentee voting all members are voting in person

It is not a second round of voting just the completion of the voting period. Voting was open form Mid Jan until the end of Feb.

It is not a second round of voting just the completion of the voting period. Voting was open form Mid Jan until the end of Feb.

Well, then I completely agree with Mr. Mountcastle and would note that you shouldn't be opening ballots until voting is over, so this question should never have arisen to begin with.

I'll leave it to some of the more veteran parliamentarians here to argue over whether leaving the polls open for a month and a half is legitimate or whether it's an attempt to workaround the absentee voting prohibitions. :)

They were not on the original pre-printed ballot and have recieved wriote in votes....now they have been contacted and told there were written in and asked if thy would like to become part of the pre-printed ballot.

The proper way to add further candidates is to reopen nominations. There is an incidental motion to do this. Take a look at RONR (10th ed.), §31, pp. 275ff.

The proper way to add further candidates is to reopen nominations. There is an incidental motion to do this. Take a look at RONR (10th ed.), §31, pp. 275ff.

After seeing what the original poster has said further, I don't think my reply applies. The ballot cannot be modified in the midst of a round of voting, since this creates unfairness toward those who have already voted with the first version of the ballot.

I agree, sir. This is what happens when the facts come out one drip at a time. rolleyes.gif

The intent was not for information to come out one drip at a time.

I stated in the original post that this was during the course of the election and that written in names were to be added. sorry that it required further clarification

The intent was not for information to come out one drip at a time.

I stated in the original post that this was during the course of the election and that written in names were to be added. sorry that it required further clarification

That's fine. For clarity, in between rounds of balloting, nominations can be reopened and the names of any added candidates can be included on a printed ballot. Within a round of balloting, however, it is not permitted to reopen nominations.

If the first round of voting is not over, how the heck did some people find out what is written on some of the ballots!? And what does that say about the security and credibility of your election process?

Archived