The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Roberts Rules referenced in bylaws

Guest Genelle Dwyer

A group for which I am the Recording Secretary has a provision it its rules and procedures that reads: "Robert's Rules of Order shall be used to cover any provision not incorporated in the (organization's) bylaws. I was wondering what was trying to be conveyed with this sentence.

Thank you in advance for your input. Genelle Dwyer

A group for which I am the Recording Secretary has a provision it its rules and procedures that reads: "Robert's Rules of Order shall be used to cover any provision not incorporated in the (organization's) bylaws. I was wondering what was trying to be conveyed with this sentence.

Thank you in advance for your input. Genelle Dwyer

You can find the exact language that should be used here.

The intent of adopting a parliamentary authority is to provide a body of rules for a deliberative assembly to conduct business, so that it is not necessary for each society to "reinvent the wheel." The society then only needs to adopt its own rules in cases where the rule in the parliamentary authority is unsuitable. As noted, the wording in your Bylaws is not quite what is recommended for such a provision.

And since your bylaws don't specify any particular edition, the current 10th Edition should be considered your parliamentary authority, as noted on page II, which is the Roman numeral, that is, and should not be construed to mean page two or eleven in the text proper. You'll likely find page II opposite the title page, in the very beginning of the book.

A group for which I am the Recording Secretary has a provision it its rules and procedures that reads: "Robert's Rules of Order shall be used to cover any provision not incorporated in the (organization's) bylaws.["] I was wondering what was trying to be conveyed with this sentence.

What they're trying to convey is that they were smart enough to realize that it would be much better to adopt a parliamentary authority to cover the normal rules of parliamentary procedure, rather than taking the time to write 700-page bylaws, and probably get half of it wrong anyway.

As it is, they didn't do such a hot job on the language of this provision. The recommended language is:

"The rules contained in the current edition of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern the Society in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these bylaws and any special rules of order the Society may adopt."

...changing the word "Society" to whatever is appropriate.

Archived