The Official RONR Q & A Forums

vote failed

Guest Voted Down

I made a motion at a board meeting tonight and it failed because it was a tied vote. I want to ask to renew the motion at our meeting next month. (We meet monthly) Can I do this? Or do I have to wait longer? This is not a committe - but a regular municipal governing board.

I made a motion at a board meeting tonight and it failed because it was a tied vote. I want to ask to renew the motion at our meeting next month. (We meet monthly) Can I do this? Or do I have to wait longer? This is not a committe - but a regular municipal governing board.

Did you get through the entire agenda (or Order of Business) at the meeting tonight or will it be completed next month? If you have went through the whole agenda tonight you would be able to renew it next month. Otherwise, you would need to wait until the meeting after you have went through the whole agenda.

I made a motion at a board meeting tonight and it failed because it was a tied vote.

I want to ask to renew the motion at our meeting next month. (We meet monthly.)

Q1. Can I do this?

Q2. Or do I have to wait longer?

This is not a commmitte - but a regular municipal governing board.

If Robert's Rules of Order applies, __________:

A1. Yes, it is possible. But there is a time restriction of some kind. See below.

A2. You have to wait ONE ORDER OF BUSINESS (which RONR refers to as one "session"), to move a motion which was defeated in a prior session.

You say you meet monthly.

If your monthly meetings are dedicated to one order of business (that is, that each meeting is its own "session"), then you are free to make a motion identical to a motion which was defeated in the prior month.

Forever.

Until adopted.

Did you get through the entire agenda (or Order of Business) at the meeting tonight or will it be completed next month? If you have went through the whole agenda tonight you would be able to renew it next month. Otherwise, you would need to wait until the meeting after you have went through the whole agenda.

I think you need to back up and think about that one for a moment. The generic way in which this response is worded does not distinguish between an adjourned meeting and carrying individual items of business over to the next meeting as Unfinished Business.

I think you need to back up and think about that one for a moment. The generic way in which this response is worded does not distinguish between an adjourned meeting and carrying individual items of business over to the next meeting as Unfinished Business.

You're right. I think Kim's response words it much better. :)

You can move it again (renew it) at the next meeting, whenever New Business is in order. You don't need to ask.

Archived