The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Anonymous users

If you scroll down to the bottom of a page, you see something like this:

9 user(s) are browsing this forum

2 members, 6 guests, 1 anonymous users

I know what a member is and what a guest is.

What's an "anonymous user"?

It means that a member signed in but doesn't want their name listed. In the sign in page there is an option to sign in anonymously.

An "anonymous user" is one who, when logging in, checks the box that says, "Sign in anonymously; Don't add me to the active users list". But such a list is only useful if the forum's "personal messenger" feature is enabled. Since it's not, there's no point in being on the "active" list.

And of course the term "anonymous" is inaccurate for those members who post with their real names.

If you scroll down to the bottom of a page, you see something like this:

9 user(s) are browsing this forum

2 members, 6 guests, 1 anonymous users

I know what a member is and what a guest is.

When you log on, you have the option to have your name left off the list of active users.

• 4 weeks later...

Another problem not solved by the CAPTCHA barrier.

Well, in actuality, they weren't logged in or posting or anything, just had this url in their browser, or whatever the equivalent would be for a spambot. I often see a large number of guests "online" viewing the board, but so far I'd say they haven't penetrated any further, as they once were with their registrations. But it does indicate that this is a popular spot for them!

The number of people (?) online at any given time is as meaningless as the number of posts per member.

My point was simply that 2000+ "guests" were browsing this url, and it's a good guess most of them were not seeking parliamentary advice. Whatever their nefarious pursuits may have been, they were obviously thwarted by the Captcha code. It's unfortunate that other well-meaning guests may (and likely were, for some) have been having trouble getting past, and I would like to see that addressed.

Whatever their nefarious pursuits may have been, they were obviously thwarted by the Captcha code

That's only "obvious" if you think they attempted access. And what if they did? This forum is remarkably responsive (it's rare for someone to wait more than a few minutes for a response) so any inappropriate activity would be noticed right away.

Perhaps the problem stems from putting "security" on auto-pilot instead of actively monitoring the activity.

Archived