The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Posting of the Minutes of a Meeting

Guest Sara Hays

The school district I work for has a Personnel Policies Committee. This committee represents all certified teachers in the district. This group meets every month, but the teachers do not receive the minutes from the monthly meetings until 2 months later. Arkansas law says that the minutes must be distributed in a timely manner. My question is can the secretary distribute minutes from the meeting before they are approved at the next meeting? This is how it has always been done in the past, but now she says she can’t distribute until they have been approved in the next meeting. Which way is correct?

I appreciate any information on this.

Sara Hays

The school district I work for has a Personnel Policies Committee. This committee represents all certified teachers in the district. This group meets every month, but the teachers do not receive the minutes from the monthly meetings until 2 months later. Arkansas law says that the minutes must be distributed in a timely manner. My question is can the secretary distribute minutes from the meeting before they are approved at the next meeting? This is how it has always been done in the past, but now she says she can’t distribute until they have been approved in the next meeting. Which way is correct?

I appreciate any information on this.

Sara Hays

I think you could successfully argue that two months is not "timely", but that's a legal matter, not a parliamentary one.

In similar situations I have seen this handled by distributing the minutes in advance of approval, but clearly marking them as "DRAFT" minutes, subject to correction at the next board meeting.

The board, by majority vote, could direct the secretary to make draft minutes available.

My question is can the secretary distribute minutes from the meeting before they are approved at the next meeting? This is how it has always been done in the past, but now she says she can’t distribute until they have been approved in the next meeting. Which way is correct?

So far as RONR is concerned, either method is acceptable, and the assembly decides. I would advise that if the assembly chooses to distribute draft minutes they be clearly marked as such. I would ask a lawyer if you wish to know which way is correct under Arizona law.

Archived