The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Officer Misconduct

Guest Guest101

We have an officer who is overriding the President in order to push an agenda only he wants. A board meeting was scheduled and he has decided to invite committees and others who are not on the board. He is also changed the agenda on his own and is trying to force changes that have already been voted on. Our Bylaws for removal seem too simplified and we do not know how to remove him or suspend him until further review. All our bylaws state is Article X: Code of Conduct

SECTION A: Officer

1. Any Officer may be impeached for improper conduct or conduct prejudicial to the

welfare of the Club. The elected Board members shall present the impeachment

proceedings to the Board of Directors, who will make a determination as to the retention

or removal of the Officer.

Our Bylaws for removal seem too simplified and we do not know how to remove him or suspend him until further review.

For one thing, impeachment is not the same thing as removal. See FAQ #20 and Chapter XX for Disciplinary Procedures.

In the meantime, one member can't do all that you say this person is doing unless the other members let him get away with it. He has only one vote. He can't, in other words, permit non-members to attend meetings unless the assembly agrees. Nor can he single-handedly change an agenda (see FAQ #14). Nor can he "force" a vote.

Your bylaws seem pretty straightforward to me.

OTOH, guests do not have the right to attend board meetings and, if they attend, they do not have the right to speak in debate. Those privileges might be granted by the board. The member does not have the right to change the agenda, either. That is an action of the board. It sounds like he is a bully and you are letting him get away with it. I suggest that you raise a point of order that he does not have the right to change the agenda without majority approval and that the guests cannot enter the debate. The president should rule in your favor and that will at least take a little wids out of his sails.

-Bob

Your bylaws seem pretty straightforward to me.

OTOH, guests do not have the right to attend board meetings and, if they attend, they do not have the right to speak in debate. Those privileges might be granted by the board. The member does not have the right to change the agenda, either. That is an action of the board. It sounds like he is a bully and you are letting him get away with it. I suggest that you raise a point of order that he does not have the right to change the agenda without majority approval and that the guests cannot enter the debate. The president should rule in your favor and that will at least take a little wids out of his sails.

-Bob

He is bullying the President at every turn. This gentleman just filled a vacant position 2 months ago and is purposely trying to take over. Can a single board member suspend him until a review is set?

Is there a set number of board members who can do this?

Nothing in Robert's Rules permits a board to suspend or remove a board member, but your bylaws apparently permit your board to remove an officer from office. One assumes a majority vote would do it, but it is up to your membership to interpret your own bylaw provisions.

We have an officer who is overriding the President in order to push an agenda only he wants. A board meeting was scheduled and he has decided to invite committees and others who are not on the board. He is also changed the agenda on his own and is trying to force changes that have already been voted on. Our Bylaws for removal seem too simplified and we do not know how to remove him or suspend him until further review.

It strikes me that if the president were doing his job, nobody would be able to get away with this. None of the things you mention are permitted within Robert's Rules. Yet they seem to be happening.

In such circumstances, the main person to blame is the president, whose job it is to enforce the rules. And the next to blame is everyone else on the board, who are supposed to know the rules and raise Points of Order when the rules aren't being enforced. No one person can "override" the president without everyone's permission. So why are you letting him get away with it?

It sounds to me like there's nothing going on here that couldn't be cured in the first five minutes of the next board meeting, if the president (and the board) would take an evening, sit down and read Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief, and start enforcing the rules that already exist. Looking for new rules to get you out of an uncomfortable situation is not likely to work--I've seen it fail many times.

"The fault, dear Guest101, is not in our parliamentary authority, but in ourselves." --Henry M. Cassius

Archived