The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Quorum

Guest Bob Smith :)

What if there is not a quorum but they say there is just so they can pass a vote they want to take? They just count the No's and subtract them from what is suppose to be a quorom at a meeting. 1/2 the people already left. Should there not have been a count to make sure there was a quorum before the vote was taken and a motion was passed?? One would think so...

[quote name=Bob Smith :)' date='03 March 2011 - 12:54 PM' timestamp='1299178461' post='41981]

What if there is not a quorum but they say there is just so they can pass a vote they want to take? They just count the No's and subtract them from what is suppose to be a quorom at a meeting. 1/2 the people already left. Should there not have been a count to make sure there was a quorum before the vote was taken and a motion was passed?? One would think so...

I'm not surprised! That was in response to the complaint of how the vote itself was taken, which was improper regardless of whether a quorum was present.

Well, while I agree that the vote appears to have been taken incorrectly, I'm not sure how a Division of the Assembly would help with that either. A Division of the Assembly is used to demand a rising vote when a voice vote was taken originally, but if the chair was capable of counting the no votes, it does not seem that a voice vote was taken.

Well, while I agree that the vote appears to have been taken incorrectly, I'm not sure how a Division of the Assembly would help with that either. A Division of the Assembly is used to demand a rising vote when a voice vote was taken originally, but if the chair was capable of counting the no votes, it does not seem that a voice vote was taken.

I'm going by this: RONR p 270 l 23: "Whenever a member doubts the result of a voice vote or a vote by show of hands - either because the result appears close or because he doubts that a representative number of the members present have voted - ...."

It seems that a voice vote previously is not required, and a show of hands could be the case, so the no votes were counted. It also seems to me that the OP has doubts as to the votes of those present. he's claiming there were not the number of yes votes that the chair stated. It certainly seems to me that a division would better show the number of yes votes, and clear up the ambiguity.

I don't claim to be an expert by any means, nor do I suppose my suggestion was the best that could be offered. But it sure seems to fit the description quoted and would clear up some (intentional) ambiguity by forcing the chair to count the votes legitimately.

(added) also, p 272 line 35 "I doubt the result of the vote" seems to be exactly what the OP was describing.

I'm going by this: RONR p 270 l 23: "Whenever a member doubts the result of a voice vote or a vote by show of hands - either because the result appears close or because he doubts that a representative number of the members present have voted - ...."

Well, you win. I guess I should have brushed up on pg. 270 before arguing this point.

Well thank you for that kind expression, but I am very aware that I am learning here much more than I am ever offering by way of explanation or clarity. No winning or losing to be sure. Matter of fact, I appreciate your challenge because it made me go back and read it even more closely so I understand it even better. In that respect, I do win, so thank you, Josh! I appreciate it.

Archived