The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Stopping "Reconsider & Enter into Minutes"

tctheatc

RONR p 324 describes how to stop abuse of the motion to reconsider and enter into the minutes. I believe I understand the motion, how it works, and appreciate that it's something I may be unlikely to see. However, I fail to grasp exactly what is meant by lines 31-36 in saying that the remedy to an abuse of the motion is to fix the time for an adjourned meeting. How exactly will this stop the abuse? The book says just doing so will likely cause a withdrawal of the abusive motion. How so? the phrase "since its object would be defeated" doesn't make sense to me. What does "since its object would be defeated" mean?

Does it refer to an affect on the motion, or merely that the "abusers" will likely realize the hopelessness of their attempt to stop business?

RONR p 324 describes how to stop abuse of the motion to reconsider and enter into the minutes. I believe I understand the motion, how it works, and appreciate that it's something I may be unlikely to see. However, I fail to grasp exactly what is meant by lines 31-36 in saying that the remedy to an abuse of the motion is to fix the time for an adjourned meeting. How exactly will this stop the abuse? The book says just doing so will likely cause a withdrawal of the abusive motion. How so? the phrase "since its object would be defeated" doesn't make sense to me. What does "since its object would be defeated" mean?

Does it refer to an affect on the motion, or merely that the "abusers" will likely realize the hopelessness of their attempt to stop business?

An example in Parliamentary Law on page 103 is say there is an organization that meets weekly and there is an important person who will be in town the next week and the assembly wants to have him speak at their next meeting and there are a few members who don't want to hear from this person so they vote in favor of the motion so one of them can move to Reconsider & Enter Into The Minutes. As soon as the motion is made the speaker cannot be asked to speak until the motion to Reconsider is disposed of or its effect is terminated (RONR p. 310). Since the next meeting isn't until the next week that would in effect scuttle the majority's desire to have this person speak. But if an Adjourned meeting is set up for the next day or so the motion can be disposed of and the speaker can be invited.

BTW, when RONR/11 comes out on CD I would like to request that if possible Parliamentary Law be an optional addition to the CD. Parliamentary Law is a great resource in addition to RONR and allows us to delve into the General's thought process about why things are or should be done the way they are done.

Thanks for that illustration, Chris. So the phrase "since its object would be defeated" is a statement about practicality, rather than parliamentary effect, correct? IOW, that phrase refers to the stonewallers seeing the hopelessness of seeing their ploy through. It does not refer to an effect one motion automatically has on the other?

I believe I have it now. perhaps I was reading too much into that phrase.

Thanks for that illustration, Chris. So the phrase "since its object would be defeated" is a statement about practicality, rather than parliamentary effect, correct? IOW, that phrase refers to the stonewallers seeing the hopelessness of seeing their ploy through. It does not refer to an effect one motion automatically has on the other?

I believe I have it now. perhaps I was reading too much into that phrase.

Pretty much correct because there is a bit of a parliamentary effect to having the Adjourned Meeting. Without the Adjourned meeting the motion to have the speaker would not be implemented until the motion to Reconsider and Enter was disposed of at the next regular meeting which would be too late because the speaker would probably be out of town by the time they could invite him. On the other hand with the Adjourned meeting the motion to Reconsider and Enter would need to be taken up then or the effect would terminate and the speaker could then be invited. On the other hand with the Adjourned Meeting the motion to Reconsider and Enter could be taken up and voted down and there would be time to invite the speaker.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived