The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Session

Guest sunshine

Not true, although the board might decide to lift the secrecy of the executive session to disclose the motions passed. For example, if you evaluate the executive director in executive session and decide to dismiss him/her, it's hard to maintain the secrecy of that action.

However, unless the board lifts the secrecy for parts of the executive session, members can be subject to discipline for violating the secrecy.

-Bob

We have board members insisting that any and all motions voted in Executive Session are not secret. True?

Just curious if you mean "Executive Session" the way RONR uses it, or just to describe a meeting of the "Executives" (ie Board)? It seems odd to me that the board member would use that specific phrase and yet not know what it truly means, which is a meeting or portion of a meeting in which the proceedings are secret.

Just curious if you mean "Executive Session" the way RONR uses it, or just to describe a meeting of the "Executives" (ie Board)? It seems odd to me that the board member would use that specific phrase and yet not know what it truly means, which is a meeting or portion of a meeting in which the proceedings are secret.

I do mean "Executive Session" the way RONR uses it. Exactly what Bob has answered is what I quoted them however they say because another part of the book states that all motions need to be recorded, they are interpretating that to include Executive Session motions.

I do mean "Executive Session" the way RONR uses it. Exactly what Bob has answered is what I quoted them however they say because another part of the book states that all motions need to be recorded, they are interpretating that to include Executive Session motions.

Well, let's clarify something. A meeting (or part of) held in Executive Session is no different than any other meeting beyond the "secrecy" quality. Minutes should be taken, and recorded, just as any other meeting. However, and in what fashion the organization makes this work for itself, those minutes are kept secret (and perhaps separately) as well. So they are correct that all motions must be recorded in the minutes, but not to be shared with anyone not a member of the body that is meeting (sounds like the Board), unless the membership orders the minutes to be read at a membership meeting, which they have the authority to do.

I don't have my book with me today, so I can't give you any page citations. Others who follow may be able to, and to clarify any points I've made that stray from the exact parliaementary procedure.

... however they say because another part of the book states that all motions need to be recorded,

they are interpretating that to include Executive Session motions.

"They" are right. -- all motions are to be recorded, except for minor parliamentary motions, into the minutes.

Did someone say that the minutes are to EXCLUDE motions which are moved within an executive session?

There is no text in RONR which implies that the minutes are to IGNORE adopted motions or rejected motions JUST BECAUSE they were entertained within an executive session.

How else will you preserve the text of an adopted motion?

Well, that's exactly right. All (main) motions have to be recorded in the minutes, no matter whether you're in open session or executive session. But the minutes are kept secret, and the minutes are approved in executive session as well.

So they're recorded, but certainly not "public".

Motions made in executive session are recorded. You just keep the minutes secret as well. See if RONR, 10th ed., pg. 93, lines 16-25 clarifies this for you.

Archived