The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President resigns

skaminski

When a president resigns and there is no vice president, who calls the meeting for an election of a new president?

The Secretary would call the meeting to order and preside over the election of a Chair pro tem who would preside until a President is elected (although I don't see why the assembly can't kill two birds with one stone by Suspending the Rules and proceeding to the election of a President at that point).

The Secretary would call the meeting to order and preside over the election of a Chair pro tem who would preside until a President is elected (although I don't see why the assembly can't kill two birds with one stone by Suspending the Rules and proceeding to the election of a President at that point).

I would think also that if the bylaws include a provision for filling vacancies, in this particular instance it could apply to the office of president. Yes, absent a specific provision for that office, the VP ascends automatically, but in the absence of a VP, couldn't that vacancy provision (if any) prevail?

I would think also that if the bylaws include a provision for filling vacancies, in this particular instance it could apply to the office of president. Yes, absent a specific provision for that office, the VP ascends automatically, but in the absence of a VP, couldn't that vacancy provision (if any) prevail?

Yes, I believe it would.

And if you're not sure it would, but you want it to, simply appoint (using the appropriate procedure) a vice president, who would, because of the vacant presidency, immediately become president. Then appoint a vice president again.

I believe the assembly certainly could proceed immediately to the election of the President. Whether this would be advisable depends on how long the election for President is expected to take. If it is expected to be controversial, it may be best to elect a skilled and neutral party as Chairman Pro Tempore before proceeding.

Archived