The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Recourse for stupid motion

Guest New President

Guest New President

My board recently proposed and accepted a motion to would terminate membership for a member who 'mouthed off' to the previous president. Personally, I think this is petty and would cause more harm than is necessary. As board members are we not expected to receive negative comments from club members. Is there a want to veto/dismiss this motion?

My board recently proposed and accepted a motion to would terminate membership for a member who 'mouthed off' to the previous president. Personally, I think this is petty and would cause more harm than is necessary. As board members are we not expected to receive negative comments from club members. Is there a want to veto/dismiss this motion?

I doubt the board has the authority to terminate a membership. Check the bylaws. If they don't say the board can do this, it can't.

Is there a want to veto/dismiss this motion?

Adopted motions can often be rescinded ("voided") or otherwise amended (changed) as long as the action authorized by the motion hasn't been completed.

If the board has the authority to expel a member from the organization and it properly did so, the member is expelled and the expulsion is a fact of history. Whether or not he can be re-instated (or simply join again) is another question.

By the way, motions are not "proposed and accepted", they are made and adopted. Or not.

I doubt the board has the authority to terminate a membership. Check the bylaws. If they don't say the board can do this, it can't.

...and if the Board does have such authority it cannot Rescind the expulsion if the member has already been notified of it (RONR p. 298). The Board's only real recourse would be to put its weight behind having this member reinstated as a member (by whatever means the bylaws prescribe).

Is there a want to veto/dismiss this motion?

Well you can't "veto" or "dismiss" anything as President, but if the Bylaws do not grant the board the authority to expel members, you can rule the motion null and void at the next meeting. I would be prepared for an Appeal. If the board overturns your ruling, you might need to take your case to the general membership. If the board does have the authority to expel members, then the member is expelled, and you'll need to work on getting them readmitted (the same procedure as for admitting a new member, unless your Bylaws have a different procedure).

Archived