The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes for Meetings

Guest Gayle

We have a new secretary of a committee that I am on. Always before attendees names have been posted near the beginning of the published and approved minutes. The have now been taken off and put on a separate document. My understanding is that attendance needs to be on the main document. Is this correct or is it really a matter of preference?

I fear your understanding has been misguided (unless your association has special rules - ask you informant to show them to you - if they exist). "That is how we have always done it" doesn't count.

RONR doesn't require attendance at all at meetings, let alone documenting who is, or is not, at a meeting.

We have a new secretary of a committee that I am on. Always before attendees names have been posted near the beginning of the published and approved minutes. The have now been taken off and put on a separate document. My understanding is that attendance needs to be on the main document. Is this correct or is it really a matter of preference?

I don't think there's any support for the minutes including a "separate document" attached for any reason. I've never heard of this myself, although that doesn't mean it has no historical precedence. The organizations I am familiar with that do have a roll call at the meetings include that information right after noting that the meeting was called to order at ______ date/time, etc. As noted, RONR does not require this, so it's your own rules that need to be followed in this regard.

Archived