The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes

Guest Jim T.

When the minutes of a meeting are published, should there be a report of those board members who are "present" and "absent"? In a case of an absent board member, can the votes be listed as "unanimous" when one of the five members is absent?

When the minutes of a meeting are published, should there be a report of those board members who are "present" and "absent"?

RONR contains no provision that requires the presence or absence of members to be included in the minutes.

In a case of an absent board member, can the votes be listed as "unanimous" when one of the five members is absent?

The result of a vote is usually based on the members present AND voting. So, in a meeting of 100, a 1-0 vote, with 99 abstaining, would be "unanimous," even if there were absentees.

When the minutes of a meeting are published, should there be a report of those board members who are "present" and "absent"? In a case of an absent board member, can the votes be listed as "unanimous" when one of the five members is absent?

There is no rule in RONR about recording attendance. Check your bylaws.

Unanimous merely means that everyone (who voted) voted the same way. So it wouldn't matter how many members were absent, or how many abstained. But whether a vote is unanimous or not, there is no reason that word would ever appear in the minutes. On non-counted votes, such as voice votes or a show of hands, all that gets recorded is whether the motion passed or failed. It is immaterial how close or far it was from the required threshold.

The minutes would only show vote counts for votes which were actually ordered to be counted. And in that case, the vote counts speak for themselves; there is still no need to say it was "unanimous".

I meant members as a whole, (and the chair and secretary are not necessarily members)... but good point, Rev Ed. :)

Okay - thanks. By the way, unless specifically told otherwise, I normally assume that the Chair and Secretary are members as that is generally seems to be the norm from what I have read and experienced.

Archived