The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Vote Required vs. No Vote Required

Guest Vote Required vs. No Vote

Guest Vote Required vs. No Vote

I am on the Volunteer Council Board at our Hospital, and we recently had a variety of items on the agenda, all requiring expendiitures of $25 or more. A member asked (since there were so many), do we have to vote on all of these? My understanding,as President this year, is that we vote on any items that are expenditures - any amount going out of our treasurey fund. Is this considered a formal procedure under the roberts rules, or would it be something we would consider a rule in our own by-laws?

The principle is that all expenditures of the organization must be authorized by the membership. That doesn't mean there must be a formal motion, second, and vote on each one.

You have several ways to take care of this.

At each meeting, you could distribute a motion proposing all the expenditures to be approved. With one motion and vote that could be completed. Of course, someone could move to delete one or more items from the list; that's all part of the approval system.

You could adopt a budget that includes spending authority up to specified limits.

You could amend the bylaws to delegate approval for spending small amounts to an executive board or even to the president. (Caution: beware what you wish for; you might get it.)

-Bob

I am on the Volunteer Council Board at our Hospital, and we recently had a variety of items on the agenda, all requiring expendiitures of $25 or more. A member asked (since there were so many), do we have to vote on all of these? My understanding,as President this year, is that we vote on any items that are expenditures - any amount going out of our treasurey fund. Is this considered a formal procedure under the roberts rules, or would it be something we would consider a rule in our own by-laws?

For ANYTHING to be the act of the board, it must be agreed to by the board (at least a majority of the members present and voting) in a meeting.

If you're confident that no one will oppose the motion, you can save time by saying, "If there is no objection, a new toaster will be purchased for $28." Any member can object, and if there's no objection, all members present have consented to the action.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of stating the motion, "That a new toaster be purchased for $28," and putting it to a vote, by saying, "Those in favor say aye... those opposed say no." Of course, members have a right to debate the motion before the vote.

what is this member on the board for if he finds voting to be an objectionable use of his time? donuts?

I've been to many meetings where great deals of time are wasted by lock of organization of the meeting beforehand by the chairman and by poor meeting procedure by the chairman.

Chairman: The next order of business will be the approval of expenditueres. Now you all know the toaster has been on the fritz for a long time and their has been a lot of discussion about whether we need a new one so I asked Harry and Paul to have their wives go along with my wife and check several of the department stores for different brands and Martha found a great sale at _____ that saved us $3.75 over the price she's bought the same model for a month earlier. Well, I guess we need a motion to pass this. May I hear a motion to approve the purchase of a new toaster?

Member: So move!

Other member: Second

Secretary: Who seconded it?

Chairman: I believe Lonny seconded it.

Lonny: I didn't second it. I don't even like toast.

Other member: I seconded it.

Chairman: Harry seconded it.

Secretary: Thank you.

Chairman: Is there any discussion?

Yet another member: How much did the toaster cost? It's not in the motion.

Chairman: It was $75.34 including tax. Charlie, you made the motion. Is it OK to add this to the motion?

Charlie: Yes

Chairman: Harry seconded the motion. Harry, do you agree?

Harry: Yes.

Still yet another member: Call the question

Chairman: OK, the question has been called. All in favor say aye. [AYE] Opposed same sign. [1-2 ayes]

Chairman: OK, is there any other business?

-Bob

There is no such rule in Robert's Rules of Order. You could find out if such a rule is in your bylaws by <gasp> reading your bylaws, Mr. President. :)

Archived