The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Previous Notice of Motions

Guest bruce lebedoff anders

Re: “Previous Notice of Motions” (Page 116, Sec. 10RONR, 10th Ed.): Is the "previous notice of a motion," the motion itself, or simply a notice (announcement) that the motion will be made at the next meeting? Does the notice, announcement, have to be made at the meeting previous to taking it up in debate? (Doesn’t a member have to rise and be recognized to make the motion, even if a member has announced his/her intention to make the motion at the next meeting?) Or, can a motion simply appear on the agenda as a “notice motion” or "noticed motion" and then be taken up, debated, and passed or defeated?

Re: “Previous Notice of Motions” (Page 116, Sec. 10RONR, 10th Ed.): Is the "previous notice of a motion," the motion itself, or simply a notice (announcement) that the motion will be made at the next meeting?

It's simply a notice of intent.

Does the notice, announcement, have to be made at the meeting previous to taking it up in debate?

Then, or, alternatively in the Call of the meeting a which it will be moved.

(Doesn’t a member have to rise and be recognized to make the motion, even if a member has announced his/her intention to make the motion at the next meeting?)

Ordinarily, yes. And the member who gave notice might change his mind in the interim, and decide not to move it--at which time someone else, taking advantage of the existing notice, could still make the same motion.

Or, can a motion simply appear on the agenda as a “notice motion” or "noticed motion" and then be taken up, debated, and passed or defeated?

It could, if this were an actual, formally adopted, agenda or program, and not just a laundry list someone made up and passed out, with the word Agenda at the top.

Request clarification:

John R. says "The noticed motion must be made in the usual manner unless it is an order of the day, in which case the chair simply announces it as the pending question at the proper time. Items on an adopted agenda are orders of the day."

"In the usual manner" I assume emans that a member seeks the floor and announces his/her intent to make the motion at the next meeting. (Or do you mean something else?)

"Unless it is an 'order of the day'" Does this refer to a situation in which a member in the previous meeting announced his intention to make the motion? If so, is it considered a motion for debate if it is then placed on the order of the day, and then adopted by as the agenda by the body?

What is the difference between an order of the day, and the call of the meeting?

Thanks for your help!

"In the usual manner" I assume emans that a member seeks the floor and announces his/her intent to make the motion at the next meeting. (Or do you mean something else?)

No, John R. is talking about how to actually make the motion, after notice has been given. By "in the usual manner" he means that a member seeks recognition and makes the motion.

"Unless it is an 'order of the day'" Does this refer to a situation in which a member in the previous meeting announced his intention to make the motion?

Not necessarily. Providing notice does not, in and of itself, make an item an order of the day (except in the case of amendments to the Bylaws).

What is the difference between an order of the day, and the call of the meeting?

An order of the day is an item of business set in advance to be considered at a particular time. The call of the meeting is a notice sent to all members which notes the time, date, and place of the meeting, and including an item of business in the call is one method of providing notice.

It's simply a notice of intent.

It could, if this were an actual, formally adopted, agenda or program, and not just a laundry list someone made up and passed out, with the word Agenda at the top.

If it is previosuly noticed (announced) motion, appearing on the agenda then that member or another has to make the motion at the meeting, before debate right?

If it is previosuly noticed (announced) motion, appearing on the agenda then that member or another has to make the motion at the meeting, before debate right?

Well, if the motion is going to be considered then, yes, someone has to make it. But, on the other hand, no one has to make it if no one wants to. It just won't be considered.

Well, if the motion is going to be considered then, yes, someone has to make it. But, on the other hand, no one has to make it if no one wants to. It just won't be considered.

But if it's the next item on the approved agenda, does it not come up as an item of business? So it needs a second, and lacking that, it would fail to be considered?

But if it's the next item on the approved agenda, does it not come up as an item of business?

No, not necessarily.

The chair announces the next item of business per the written agenda, and then WAITS.

If no one takes advantage of the previous notice and takes the initiative to stand up and make a motion so, then the chair moves on down the agenda.

It is not the chair who makes the motion.

See RONR for exceptions (re bylaws amendments, re special orders).

So it needs a second, and lacking that, it would fail to be considered?

Yes. Just like a real motion.

So you're saying it should go thusly: Chair says "the next item is the proposal (motion?) to have donuts at every meeting." he then waits for someone to say what? I move that proposal?

I had thought he'd wait for someone to say "second!" as the notice and presence on the agenda serve as making the motion. I'm at work without my book right now.

So you're saying it should go thusly: Chair says "the next item is the proposal (motion?) to have donuts at every meeting." he then waits for someone to say what? I move that proposal?

I had thought he'd wait for someone to say "second!" as the notice and presence on the agenda serve as making the motion. I'm at work without my book right now.

I think John R's response was the clearest.

Every item on an adopted agenda will be either a general or a special order, but even if it is placed in the agenda in the form of a motion or resolution, that motion or resolution will need to be formally introduced if it has not previously been introduced (see RONR, 10th ed., p. 362, ll. 22-28).

Archived