The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ballot Secrecy and Reconsider

Rev Ed

I have a good question: under RONR's reconsider option, page 305 lines 4-5 states "A member who voted by ballot may make the motion if he is willing to waive the secrecy of his ballot", however how is a member supposed to show that he/she voted with the prevailing side? While the vast majority of members are honest, it is technically possible for a member voting on the losing side to try to bring up a motion to reconsider if the issue was voted on by ballot.

I have a good question: under RONR's reconsider option, page 305 lines 4-5 states "A member who voted by ballot may make the motion if he is willing to waive the secrecy of his ballot", however how is a member supposed to show that he/she voted with the prevailing side? While the vast majority of members are honest, it is technically possible for a member voting on the losing side to try to bring up a motion to reconsider if the issue was voted on by ballot.

The member upon making the motion should state how he voted, and if he does not, the chair should ask. Since there is no way to verify it, it's strictly on the honor system.

It's not a serious flaw, however, since it can't change the outcome of any vote. Worst case, Reconsider gets moved when it technically shouldn't have been, but the result is still determined by the will of the assembly.

I guess I asked the question because, while many votes may not take place by a recorded vote, if done by a show of hands then people may have an idea of whether or not the person voted with the previling side. Although, I do agree that it all comes down to the honour system - and that is sufficient in virtually all cases.

I guess I asked the question because, while many votes may not take place by a recorded vote, if done by a show of hands then people may have an idea of whether or not the person voted with the previling side. Although, I do agree that it all comes down to the honour system - and that is sufficient in virtually all cases.

Sounds good to me.

Archived