The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Treasurer problems

Guest guest_fedup

I am the president of a booster board for a high school. Our treasurer has written checks to herself, not gotten double signatures on checks, written checks that have not been voted on..etc. She gives the treasurer's report in an Excell document and I've found (after calling the bank and gaining on-line access) that checks she states are written for one purpose, are actually being written to individuals. The worst is that we as a booster group catered food for an event and our treasurer sent the invoice to be paid in HER name, to her address. Our bylaws don't say anything about dismissing a delinquent board member. What can I do to take care of this? I don't want to air the problems at a "trial" in front of general members for fear of being sued for lible.

The RONR answer is that you should move that an audit be ordered. If you do not already have an audit committee named as a standing committee, they should also be named in the motion to have the audit.

The other answer is that, if you have evidence that fraud has been committed against your organization by an officer, call the police.

For information about dismissing a board member, see FAQ#20

-Bob

What can I do to take care of this?

See FAQ #20, and if necessary, Ch. XX of RONR.

I don't want to air the problems at a "trial" in front of general members for fear of being sued for lible.

Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but if the Bylaws are silent on discipline and the Treasurer was elected by the general membership, only the general membership can remove her. Whether that requires a trial depends on the exact wording in the Bylaws (more info in FAQ #20). The advice RONR provides to avoid lawsuits is to hold disciplinary meetings in executive session, so that the only information that is distributed outside of the society is the fact that the individual is no longer a member of the society. If you still have concerns about this after reading the appropriate information in RONR, consult a lawyer.

I've already called for an audit. It's been almost two full months and I've yet to receive any information from the treasurer. Can the executive board vote to dismiss her? If not, am I protected against being sued if these allegations are brought in front of the general membership?

Just my 2 cents - but, 2 months is completely unreasonable to allow someone who has been doing the things you state to keep on doing them, as well as covering up past misbehavior. I think you (probably the executive board, but review bylaws) should have take action to cut her off from handling the funds immediately after you discovered what you did.

Can the executive board vote to dismiss her?

If the Bylaws are silent on discipline and the position was originally elected by the general membership, no.

If not, am I protected against being sued if these allegations are brought in front of the general membership?

The primary method of protection in RONR is to hold the meetings in executive session, so that none of the allegations of the officer's misconduct are spread outside of the society. Beyond that, ask a lawyer.

Once again, see FAQ #20, and if necessary, Ch. XX of RONR for more information.

Ask your bank to be more alert (i.e. tell it to stop honoring improperly endorsed checks).

Don't be too quick to blame the bank. Many organizations use checks with endorsements that say something like "two signatures required if over $100" but don't realize they also signed a contract with the bank holding them harmless if they fail to follow rules printed on checks. Either the account requires 2 signatures or it doesn't. If you are using check like that, check with your bank to see who's responsible if they don't follow the rules.

True, that won't be found in RONR but worthwhile posting anyhow.

-Bob

Archived