The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Standing committee report.

lipets

Just a technicality, but there is a standing committee with a chair and two members.

A report was submitted with only the Chairs signature, should all members have signed any report?

Generally speaking, only the chairman signs a committee's report. The practice of having all concurring members of the committee sign the report is reserved for reports of "considerable importance."

Thanks for the quick reply, can you please tell me where in RONR this is defined?

The full rules on this subject are found in RONR, 10th ed., pg. 495, lines 1-14. The phrase "considerable importance" is not defined.

Also if was an important issue and not signed by all????

I wouldn't really worry about it. The lack of the other members' signatures doesn't invalidate anything. The chair, by his signature, is certifying that the report has been adopted by the committee. So long as that is correct, the fact that the other members have not signed the document is not of parliamentary significance. But if it's a big deal to the assembly, you can always just have them sign it.

sorry I don't understand that reply.

By the way to the moderator, you image verification is almost impossible to deal with!

these two posts took almost 20 tries, nope make that 26

I'm a web designer. I know what I'm doing the letters can not be read.

By the way to the moderator, you image verification is almost impossible to deal with!

these two posts took almost 20 tries, nope make that 26

I'm a web designer. I know what I'm doing the letters can not be read.

Unfortunately, we're all too well aware of this.

However becoming a member means never having to do it again.

What if the other members were not consulted on an important matter?

Where the chair acted on their own?

If the chair is acting on his own and the other members of the committee are not consulted, then the document submitted by the chair is not the report of the committee and should not be filed as such. The appointing authority would probably also want to get a new chair for the committee.

Archived