The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Action ro recend actions

Guest Tom

Once A Board has approved by vote(Electronically0 that was not provided for in the By Laws what are the courses of action to resend that vote?

At a meeting of the board, a member of the board can make a Point of Order that the adoption of the main motion was null and void on account that the absentee voting not authorized in the bylaws violated a fundamental principle of parliamentary law that voting is limited to members who are actually present at a meeting when the vote is taken. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 244, ll. 19, 20; p. 408, ll. 31-34. The chair will make a ruling on the point, which ruling is subject to appeal.

Then what recourse does a superior body have when an inferior body fails to act on a breach of the rules?

If an inferior body fails to act on a continuing breach of the rules, I believe the proper course of action is for the superior body to make an incidental main motion declaring the action null and void. Depending on the circumstances, disciplinary action may also be appropriate.

If an inferior body fails to act on a continuing breach of the rules, I believe the proper course of action is for the superior body to make an incidental main motion declaring the action null and void.

What if this vote fails? Does this in any fashion validate the breach? Does it tie the hands of the Board to take action at their next meeting, should a board member want to raise a Point of Order?

If an inferior body fails to act on a continuing breach of the rules, I believe the proper course of action is for the superior body to make an incidental main motion declaring the action null and void. Depending on the circumstances, disciplinary action may also be appropriate.

Are you relying on something in RONR for this reply, or are you just winging it?

Archived