The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Automatic members of an organization?

Guest Maria O.

A small group of like-minded Christians want to start a non-denominational church in their community. A denominational church in a nearby city agreed to help the group "get off the ground" by filing a d/b/a with the new church's name, and opening a bank account in the name of the new church, with the city church as the d/b/a. The new church has bylaws and elected officers, none of which are members of the "city church".

My question is, are members of the City Denominational Church automatic members of the new church? I think that could make a difference in the new church's meetings by having members of the City Church attend business meetings and voting to become a denominational church.

Thank you.

A small group of like-minded Christians want to start a non-denominational church in their community. A denominational church in a nearby city agreed to help the group "get off the ground" by filing a d/b/a with the new church's name, and opening a bank account in the name of the new church, with the city church as the d/b/a. The new church has bylaws and elected officers, none of which are members of the "city church".

My question is, are members of the City Denominational Church automatic members of the new church? I think that could make a difference in the new church's meetings by having members of the City Church attend business meetings and voting to become a denominational church.

Thank you.

That would solely depend on the bylaws of the "new Church."

J. J.

My question is, are members of the City Denominational Church automatic members of the new church?

Assuming someone (if not you) is saying that they are, what is their basis for this claim? Note that they'd have to point to a specific rule or law, not just the "feeling" that they "should" automatically be members.

The burden of proof is on those who think they're automatic members to prove that they are. It is not on those who don't think they are to prove they're not.

[And please consider becoming a member of this forum. Whether you post just once more or more than that, it will mean only one more CAPTCHA code to crack.]

Are members of the City Denominational Church automatic members of the new church?

"Automatic"?

No.

Not by anything within Robert's Rules of Order.

Analogy:

If I "help" set up a homeless shelter organization of some kind, that does not "automatically" make me a member of the organization (nor does it make me homeless).

Helping to create X does not force one, against one's will, to be a member of X.

Analogy:

If I send $5 to a "Save The Whales" foundation at the time of its start-up, my "help" does not automatically make me a member of that pod (nor a member of the foundation). :)

Archived