Jump to content
The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Emergency Meeting and quorum


Guest JLG

Recommended Posts

Our bylaws allow that an emergency board meeting may be called by board members if requested by 10% of the potential votes cast. This requirement has been met and the emergency meeting has been scheduled with notice given. It appears that the remaining 90% of potential votes are planning to not show to assure that quorum is not met. Thoughts? Does this simply mean that the meeting will need to be rescheduled?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you. Quorum is 60%. My question is: when quorum is not met for a meeting that is not regularly scheduled does that mean that the meeting must be rescheduled? This board is trying to use the political tactic of "no show" to prevent the meeting. I am wondering if a planned no-show to avoid quorum will simply mandate rescheduling of the meeting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

when quorum is not met for a meeting that is not regularly scheduled does that mean that the meeting must be rescheduled?

One of the very few things that can be done at a meeting without a quorum (an "inquorate" meeting) is to adjourn ("continue") the meeting to a later date. You can think of it as "re-scheduling" the meeting but it can only be done at the meeting, not before (or after). Failing to adjourn the meeting to a later date means you'd have to start the special meeting process all over again from scratch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those 10%, who may be the only ones to attend, can make a motion to adjourn the meeting to another date, and if necessary, keep doing so at each adjourned meeting until a meeting has quorum. I would strongly advise members who want to "boycott" the meeting to consider not doing so. If they really do not want the issue to be discussed with there are other (perhaps better) options. For example, once the motion is made and seconded, someone could immediately move the previous question and then vote down the motion. One meeting is better than several adjourned meetings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would strongly advise members who want to "boycott" the meeting to consider not doing so. If they really do not want the issue to be discussed with there are other (perhaps better) options. For example, once the motion is made and seconded, someone could immediately move the previous question and then vote down the motion. One meeting is better than several adjourned meetings.

I agree. Based on the original post, the "no-shows" seem to make up a substantial majority, so there is really no need for them to mess around with quorum-busting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...