The Official RONR Q & A Forums

School board reorgination

Guest John Q Public

Guest John Q Public

We have just gone thru a a School board election in illinois and are preparing for a the board reorgination election .MY question can any member make a motion that "the officer slate stay as it is "as long as it is seconded ?

We have just gone thru a a School board election in illinois and are preparing for a the board reorgination election .MY question can any member make a motion that "the officer slate stay as it is "as long as it is seconded ?

You must have an election by ballot if your bylaws require one. If not, and there is only one nominee for a particular office, the chair can declare that sole nominee elected "by acclamation".

One should avoid thinking in terms of "slates". Individual candidates are elected to individual offices.

You must have an election by ballot if your bylaws require one. If not, and there is only one nominee for a particular office, the chair can declare that sole nominee elected "by acclamation".

One should avoid thinking in terms of "slates". Individual candidates are elected to individual offices.

Well since this is a school board more likely than not, not only is election by ballot not required, it's forbidden

Guest John Q Public

They vote By roll call always .There is no secret ballot . So let me restate the question : May a motion be made that states , I move to elect the President as XXXXX the vice president as YYYYYYYYY and the secreatary as ZZZZZZ ? keeping in mind that what is trying to be done is keep the officer team as it is currently ?

So let me restate the question : May a motion be made that states , I move to elect the President as XXXXX the vice president as YYYYYYYYY and the secreatary as ZZZZZZ ? keeping in mind that what is trying to be done is keep the officer team as it is currently ?

If you're asking if incumbents can be re-elected, sure (unless there are term limits, of course).

But the way to elect someone is to simply vote for him, not to move that he be elected.

They vote By roll call always .There is no secret ballot . So let me restate the question : May a motion be made that states , I move to elect the President as XXXXX the vice president as YYYYYYYYY and the secreatary as ZZZZZZ ? keeping in mind that what is trying to be done is keep the officer team as it is currently ?

It could be separated on the demand of any one member (p. 265).

I would find that who the secretary should be is independent of who the president should be.

They vote by roll call always.

There is no secret ballot.

So let me restate the question:

May a motion be made that states,

I move to elect the President as XXX the vice president as YYY and the secretary as ZZZ?

keeping in mind that what is trying to be done is keep the officer team as it is currently?

If you are asking if that practice conforms to Robert's Rules of Order, then the answer is, "No," the various forms with Robert's Rules of Order does not allow for that kind of practice. -- You won't find your description as one of the descriptions found in the 700+ pages of RONR (tenth edition 2000).

However, given that you vote 100% by roll call, and it is not a secret ballot, then, depending on your written rule, that irregular method might not violate your rules, and might not violate a parliamentary rule in RONR.

We have just gone thru a a School board election in illinois and are preparing for a the board reorganization election.

Can any member make a motion,

"That the officer slate stay as it is"

as long as it is seconded?

If you are asking if that practice conforms to Robert's Rules of Order, then the answer is, "No," the various forms with Robert's Rules of Order does not allow for that kind of practice.

The fact that is it was seconded has nothing to do with the irregularity.

When elections are held, and no secret ballot is required, then The Book gives a different way of achieving the same end (namely, keeping the current offices in their status quo).

Again, if your written rule is phrased a certain way, it is theoretically possible to keep the sitting officers in their place via a main motion. -- But I'm betting that your rules do not allow for that short cut. -- I am betting that an election is somehow required. But I have not read your rules.

We have just gone thru a School board election in Illinois and are preparing for a the board [reorganization] election. MY question can any member make a motion that "the officer slate stay as it is "as long as it is seconded ?

Why fool around? Your bylaws (and, in all likelihood, Illinois statutes) probably require an election. So have an election, do it right, and don't look for trouble.

Archived