The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Immediate Past Chair

Guest Blay

I am the Party Secretary. Our Bylaws state the the "Immediate Past Chair" shall be a member of the State Committee. There is no other reference to this title in the Bylaws. The Bylaws also state that "All elected officers . . . shall serve until the close of the Annual State Convention following their election."

Question: if the Chair is re-elected at the Annual Convention for another one year term, does the Immediate Past Chair now get another term? IOW, does the IPC continue to remain IPC so long as the Chair that succeeds him continues to be re-elected? Or is there no IPC for the new term as the Chair is, in effect, also the Immediate Past Chair once he becomes re-elected?

Thanks

The most common usage of the words will lead to one conclusion. The "immediate past chair" is the person who held the office of chair immediately prior to the current chair. I don't recommend clauses like this in bylaws because of the confusion and administration problems they can cause. Considering the posssible situations of the Presidents of the United States, you could have an IPP hold that title for 4 years, 8 years, over 12 years (Hoover), or as little as 32 days (Van Buren).

-Bob

Our Bylaws state the the "Immediate Past Chair" shall be a member of the State Committee.

There is no other reference to this title in the Bylaws.

The Bylaws also state that "All elected officers . . . shall serve until the close of the Annual State Convention following their election."

Question: if the Chair is re-elected at the Annual Convention for another one year term, does the Immediate Past Chair now get another term?

Does the IPC continue to remain IPC so long as the Chair that succeeds him continues to be re-elected?

Or is there no IPC for the new term as the Chair is, in effect, also the Immediate Past Chair once he becomes re-elected?

Unknown.

The Book never uses the term "immediate past _____", so no page citation from The Book will be possible to prove one interpretation is more authentic than another.

• I can cite you one source which clearly says that you have no "immediate past chair" position when a sitting president is re-elected for a second term of office.

• I can also cite you another source which says that whoever the "immediate past chair" is, that person continues in that position until the sitting president loses his presidency.

Q. Which of my sources is a match for your organization?

There is a dispute within the organization. I support the former interpretation.

Unknown.

The Book never uses the term "immediate past _____", so no page citation from The Book will be possible to prove one interpretation is more authentic than another.

• I can cite you one source which clearly says that you have no "immediate past chair" position when a sitting president is re-elected for a second term of office.

• I can also cite you another source which says that whoever the "immediate past chair" is, that person continues in that position until the sitting president loses his presidency.

Q. Which of my sources is a match for your organization?

Here's some more on the IPP:

In my personal view, setting up an "official" Immediate Past President (IPP) position is not a particularly good idea. The most telling argument is the real possibility of a close and bitter race for the presidency, with the current president running (for a second term) against an "outsider". And the outsider - the "reform candidate", perhaps - wins but is still stuck with the thorn of the IPP on the Board in a position to snipe at the new president. And perhaps attempt to undermine the new president's plans.

If the erstwhile president is a "good guy" the new president can (usually, depending on the bylaws) appoint him to a pre-existing committee - or even have him chair one, which might put him on the Board - as the new president sees fit. That way the IPP's experience and value can be put to good use, when needed, without the danger of setting up an adversarial situation which would require a bylaw amendment to get out of.

Here's some more reasons

1) The President resigns and wants nothing to do with the organization.

2) The President simply doesn't run for election again because he's had enough, and never shows up at a board meeting.

3) The President is booted out of office for being incompetent, or for something more nefarious.

4) The President dies.

5) The President resigns and moves (wants to help but isn't around).

6) Even worse is the bylaw assignment of the IPP to chair a committee - such as nominating. Then he dies/quits/leaves town, &c. You are then stuck with an unfillable (by definition) vacancy.

If the erstwhile president is a "good guy" the new president can (usually, depending on the bylaws) appoint him to a pre-existing committee - or even have him chair one, which might put him on the Board - as the new president sees fit.

Or better yet, the Board could simply invite the person to a meeting if they wished to take advantage of his/her opinions, experience, etc. While the person would not a have a vote, and could not make motions, he/she could still provide his/her opinions on different issues. And if the person does not want to attend, this will not affect quorum.

Archived