The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating Officers

Guest Dani

I have been told that when nominating new officers, they can only be current members. Is this true??

Although the general practice is most likely as you mention it, there is no rule in RONR that prevents you from nominating, or even electing, a non-member (like me!) to an office. Any such restriction would likely be found in your bylaws or other governing rules.

Although the general practice is most likely as you mention it, there is no rule in RONR that prevents you from nominating, or even electing, a non-member (like me!) to an office. Any such restriction would likely be found in your bylaws or other governing rules.

Thank you. That doesn't make sense to me or you would keep having the same person over and over. and that is NOT want we need!! but after rereading the email on this is says that the pres would put together nominating commitee and they would chose nominations. but i thought i read in roberts rule that those were only suggestions and that after hearing the nominations comittee it was open fo rother elections

Thank you. That doesn't make sense to me or you would keep having the same person over and over. and that is NOT want we need!! but after rereading the email on this is says that the pres would put together nominating commitee and they would chose nominations. but i thought i read in roberts rule that those were only suggestions and that after hearing the nominations comittee it was open fo rother elections

The nominating committee puts together their suggestions for each office. At the election meeting, the chair should open the floor for additional nominations from the membership.

The only way to vote against a nominee is to vote for someone else. If the bylaws don't absolutely require a ballot vote, where you could write in another person's name, than a motion to hold the vote by ballot could be adopted by a majority vote. But if you have someone else in mind that you'd write in their name, why not just nominate them, right?

So, if only one person is willing to "run for office", and no one else has any others they would nominate..... well, you see where this is going, right? :)

I don't have anyone in mind, i wish i did!! but I am hoping someone else does!! I would nominate myself if i were going to be here next year but I am moving and wil not be able. I just hate to see it continue in the path it is going!! Sometimes I wish I didn't care so much!!

I have been told that when nominating new officers, they can only be current members. Is this true??

No, unless the Bylaws so provide. So far as RONR is concerned, anyone is eligible for office.

but after rereading the email on this is says that the pres would put together nominating commitee and they would chose nominations. but i thought i read in roberts rule that those were only suggestions and that after hearing the nominations comittee it was open fo rother elections

It is correct that the nominations of the Nominating Committee are only the first step in the process. After the committee's report is given, the chair should call for nominations from the floor. A member should raise a Point of Order and an Appeal (if necessary) if he does not do so. For future reference, RONR advises against having the President appoint the Nominating Committee.

Archived