The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Association President Authority

Guest Tim

To Whom it May Concern:

One of the associations to which I belong is having a heated debate over a particular topic. The President told the committee chair to "drop" the issue. My question is whether or not this is an approved action, and if possible, the citation for this issue so that I may make direct reference to the book. Thank you for your assistance on this matter.

Regards,

-Tim

The President told the committee chair to "drop" the issue. My question is whether or not this is an approved action, and if possible, the citation for this issue so that I may make direct reference to the book.

The President does not have the authority to give instructions to the committee unless the Bylaws grant him this authority. By default, such authority is reserved for the committee's parent assembly. See RONR, 10th ed., pg. 167, lines 1-5; pg. 440, lines 19-25.

The President does not have the authority to give instructions to the committee unless the Bylaws grant him this authority. By default, such authority is reserved for the committee's parent assembly. See RONR, 10th ed., pg. 167, lines 1-5; pg. 440, lines 19-25.

Mr. Martin,

I greatly appreciate not only the response, but also the timely nature thereof. This should help to quell a couple of underlying issues in our association.

-Tim

I don't see anything relevant to this question on pg. 167, lines 1-5.

A possibility: If the bylaws, or the resolution that established the committee, give the authority to appoint members to (i.e., name people to serve on) the committee exclusively to the president, then he could fire the lot of them, thus shutting down the committee's work, without, technically, telling them what to do or not do.

A little high-handed perhaps but it seems legit.

Archived