The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Moving A Single Election of Officer

Guest Andrew Schaus

Guest Andrew Schaus

Hi,

At our last meeting our fraternity was electing its officers and when we go to the last officer position, our chairman made a motion to move the election of Chapter Adviser to next meeting. I have searched the copies of Roberts Rules that I own, and I could not find a satisfying answer. The only thing Roberts Rules mentions about election dates is if the nominee is absent, then his nomination is invalid. Can we move the election of a single officer to another date and still keep nominations open? It seems like an abuse of power, to allow someone not present at the original meeting to be considered at another meeting.

Can we move the election of a single officer to another date and still keep nominations open?

It is in order to apply the motion to Postpone Definitely to an election when it is actually pending, although it should generally be postponed to an adjourned meeting rather than the next regular meeting. Such a motion is debatable and requires a majority vote for adoption. If nominations were not yet closed, they remain open at the next meeting. If they were closed, they may be reopened by a majority vote without debate. If this is a large assembly (more than about a dozen members), however, the chairman should refrain from making motions while presiding.

I have searched the copies of Roberts Rules that I own, and I could not find a satisfying answer.

See RONR, 10th ed., pg. 177, lines 14-26.

The only thing Roberts Rules mentions about election dates is if the nominee is absent, then his nomination is invalid.

Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised, 10th edition says nothing of the sort. I don't know what you're reading, but it isn't The Right Book.

It seems like an abuse of power, to allow someone not present at the original meeting to be considered at another meeting.

Well, the assembly is mistaken if it believes that absent individuals may not be nominated or elected, but at any rate, the assembly may apply the motion to Postpone Definitely to an election for any reason.

Archived